[ncdnhc-discuss] About Marketing Practices in .ORG

Dave Crocker dhc2 at dcrocker.net
Thu Dec 27 07:31:08 CET 2001

At 10:17 PM 12/26/2001 -0800, Kent Crispin wrote:
>That doesn't follow.  Low prices are good for commercial users and
>speculators,as well.

commercial sector generally gets into more complex trade-offs than just the
benefit of low-cost.  such minor items as cachee' (cachet?) and
brand-equity warrant the leverage than can be gained from marketing the
containing TLD.

In fact, there is the potential for a NEGATIVE commercial effect if the
price is too low, because then the business starts looking like it is too
cheap to conduct business properly.

(I'm not defending these points, merely citing them as factors in
decision-making.)

>One could ask precisely the same question about .com.  I don't see the
>need for marketing .org, but I do consider restrictions as not only
>desirable, but necessary.

Were .org brand new, then restrictions might make sense, but the horse is
long gone from this barn, so this is simply wrong that we spend energy
putting locks on the doors.

d/