[ncdnhc-discuss] About Marketing Practices in .ORG

Milton Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Thu Dec 27 05:39:45 CET 2001

>>> Nilda Vany Martinez Grajales <vany at sdnp.org.pa> 12/23/01 14:18 PM >>>
> The best way to invest money in Marketing Practices
> is when you make positive Marketing.

Yes, that is the assumption behind the policy.
Instead of negative restrictions, we wanted
positive marketing to differentiate the domain.

> meaning the Non-Commercial Community and Non-
> Commercial legimit activities and discourage
> undesirable registrations.

Our original sponsored, unrestricted proposal
would have the .org registry define a "charter"
identifying their community. But it would not
restrict entry at the point of registration.

> To obligate to Registrars in engage
> in specific marketing practices would generate
> more costs to Registrars
> which probably would have as consequence a higher
> cost for a domain name within .ORG

Yes, that's one reasons why we are moving toward
favoring an "unsponsored, unrestricted" model.
If you are a "sponsored" domain you are obligated
to qualify registrars and control their practices
to some degree.

> Anyway, to discourage undesirable registrations the
> best tool is the CHARTER.

The charter is just words on paper. The question is
whether and how you enforce registrations to conform
to it.

> Since .ORG Divesture means that .ORG will be a
> Registry different to NSI, then, and based in the
> Policy Statement on .ORG, Would all Registrars that
> already paid fees to NSI, with the new .ORG Registry,
> also Registrars has to pay again fees in order to be
> able to follow providing their Registrars Services
> for .ORG?

Answer: depends on whether it is "sponsored" or
"unsponsored." If it is "sponsored" then everything
muistchange for registrars. If it is unsponsored,
then their NSI fees could carry over.

> What about new Registrars
> that were acredited to ICANN after .ORG Divesture?

The applicants will make proposals about what to do.
It is too detailed for the policy stage. We did,
however, ask that any costs not be excessive.

> what is the idea:  To not use anymore such Registrars
> services and transfers all domain names to
> Registrars that agreed in engage activities...or
> simply not use anymore such Registrar but letting
> such Registrar maintain their actual domain names
> inside .ORG?

Your question assumes that we are using the "sponsored
unrestricted" model. But we have to change that.
We are forced to choose "unsponsored, unrestricted"
or "sponsored, restricted."

If we choose S,R, then registrars will have to change,
although old registrations may be grandfathered.
Ifwe choose U,U, it is not a problem, because
anyone can be a registrar.