[ncdnhc-discuss] ccSO

Milton Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Thu Dec 27 05:20:19 CET 2001

Chun:

If I understand your argument, the part about
it I like is that ccTLDs could become the basis
of a what in the Western tradition we call a
"federalist" structure.

I would support a more federalist structure for
ICANN as a whole, based more on voluntary association.
In the GTLDs, ICANN is a top-down manager and the
registries and registrars are subject to its
centralist rule.

The ONLY Reason I am sympathetic to ccTLDs is
that they are not part of the regime yet and
might provide a strong enough balance of power
to force ICANN-central into a more federalist
mode.

However, many ccTLD representatives advocate
reactionary policies, for example, strict limits
on new TLDs (to protect themselves). The ccTLD
representatives on the Names Council are
rarely our allies. What makes you think a ccSO
would be any better?