[ncdnhc-discuss] ccSO

Alejandro Pisanty - CUAED y FQ, UNAM apisan at servidor.unam.mx
Mon Dec 24 07:09:31 CET 2001

Hi!

>From Milton:
>
> If the NCDNHC and ccTLDs are "under the same (policy
> making) roof" then we must negotiate and enter into
> dialogue with each other, at least on GLOBAL issues.
> We can then present to the Board a "consensus."

Or a list of consensus points and dissenting positions. Point is, this is
about domain-name policy.

> If there is a separate ccSO, then the CCs make their
> own policy proposal, the "users" make their own, and
> the "suppliers" make another. Who decides which one
> to implement? In what forum do these different views
> get reconciled?

Careful: it may not be referring to domain names only any more.

> It can only be a) the Board or b) the ICANN
> management.
>
> Does the ICANN Board want to be the ultimate broker
> and negotiator of all the compromises and deals
> required to get a consensus policy? Probably it is
> not up to the task - it is an unpaid, voluntary,
> part-time Board.

...which has proven up to this and more in those occasions where the
guidance offered at the SO level has turned out to be insufficient.

> So that leaves the management/staff.
>
> Is that what we want?

This is a strawman argument. The concern we may need to face first is
whether the NCDNHC (continuing to concentrate on domain-name issues) wants
to have to discuss global domain-name issues outside the DNSO. Still an
open question, for what I see in the discussion over yesterday and today
Sunday.

Alejandro Pisanty