[ncdnhc-discuss] ccSO

Chun Eung Hwi ehchun at peacenet.or.kr
Fri Dec 21 03:22:21 CET 2001

Dear Kent Crispin and others,

Your comment as a whole is losing the idea of local internet community.
But RFC 1591 clearly defined ccTLD's mission as serving to its local
internet community. Therefore, some kind of democratic governance
structure is required to all ccTLDs.  You are referring only ccTLD
registry, but local internet community is composed of many components. You
are exactly right that all ccTLDs do not have such a governance structure.
Rather, I want to say that all ccTLDs are not lacking a governance
structure.

> Moreover, your arguements presume that ccTLDs are localized to their
> regions.  They are not -- they are globally visible, and have
> registrants and users from all over the world, not just their own
> country.

Next phrase is one part of RFP for .us bidding. It reflects American
user's concern on .us.

"While the locality-based usTLD structure has not attracted high levels of
registration and utilization in comparison to other ccTLD's, it is popular
with its current base of users. During consultations with the public on
the administration of the usTLD, a considerable number of parties
expressed a desire for the continued operation and support of the
locality-based usTLD structure. The Contractor will be required to
maintain and improve the management of the current usTLD space."

Regards,

Chun Eung Hwi
Chun Eung Hwi
General Secretary, PeaceNet | phone:     (+82) 2- 583-3033
Seoul Yangchun P.O.Box 81   |   pcs:     (+82) 019-259-2667
Seoul, 158-600, Korea       | eMail:   ehchun at peacenet.or.kr