[ncdnhc-discuss] ccSO

Chun Eung Hwi ehchun at peacenet.or.kr
Fri Dec 21 02:28:42 CET 2001

Dear Milton, Raul and others,

On Tue, 18 Dec 2001, Raul Echeberria wrote:

> >If ccTLDs were required to provide full
> >representation to user groups and individual
> >domain name holders then a ccSO makes
> >sense. If we just take the existing ccTLD
> >constituency and make it into a SO, I would
> >oppose it.
>
> Interesting point.

I absolutely agree with you at the above mentioned point.

Then, one problem is how to make a rule or guideline for ccTLD best
practice that Milton raised up as one question. Here, again I would like
to take the example of .us. CDT and some concerned public interest group
had tried to make an MoU with bidding corporations so that they could form
a publicly balanced governance structure. Then, Neustar that had never
made an MoU with those civic groups had been selected by USG. Now, Neustar
said that they will make one governance structure, but it is unclear how
balanced structure it could be. Precisely, this depends on the decision of
local internet community including national government. I don't think that
ICANN could impose any policy on governance structure of each ccTLD
because it is within the scope of its jurisdiction.

Also, I think that some commercial ccTLDs like .cc, .tv, .nu and etc.
should be rigidly distinguished from all other ccTLDs because in any
viewpoint, they are the same registries as other gTLDs. However, there are
some other more delicate and complicated issues like open ccTLDs like
.co.uk. That case permits global registration but its governance depends
on the decision of local internet community. Even in that case, I think
that the best practice as one self-guideline seems to be the only one
possible option.

What about the idea that ICANN community makes some guidelines for ccTLD
best practice as a consensus policy and it is to be clearly stated in the
charter of ccSO?

Regards,

Chun Eung Hwi
Chun Eung Hwi
General Secretary, PeaceNet | phone:     (+82) 2- 583-3033
Seoul Yangchun P.O.Box 81   |   pcs:     (+82) 019-259-2667
Seoul, 158-600, Korea       | eMail:   ehchun at peacenet.or.kr