[ncdnhc-discuss] Re: guidance on .org [EXPIRED TRIAL LICENCE]

Dr. Daniel Carras akadhmia at deltard.org
Thu Dec 20 09:36:20 CET 2001

"I still support an .org controlled by the noncommercial community so that it will be
marketed in an appropriate manner." The problem I have is that much of the noncommerical
community is motivated by one political, or philosophical, concern or another and
organizations that don't fit into the popular molds of *.org will be excluded, just
because they are different from the norm. The case in point;

Recently, the department of commerce handed one registrar (Educause) a monopoly in the
*.edu registration, placing restrictions that leave many good schools out simply because
they don't fit the model chosen for registration. From an email "Policies for the .EDU
domain were established by the Cooperative Agreement between EDUCAUSE and the US
Department of Commerce.". These restrictive policies were not in place prior to the
"agreement" and violate the UN standard of academic freedom.

Policies should not restrict on the basis of philosophy. The differences between a
commercial site and a site of philosophy (placed by an organization of philosophy) is the
content. A commercial site is there for the purpose of selling goods, and has little to no
"academic" content. A noncommercial site, contains primarily academic, or philosophical,
content. Finally, a simply statement of purpose for the noncommercial registration is all
that is required, for the simple reason that a company using an noncommercial domain
suffix to fool people into purchasing a product or service meets the definition of fraud
and as such can be prosecuted. (You know, innocent until proven guilty - due process!)

[ps - Hi, I new to the list!]

--
Thank You
Dr. Daniel Carras
mailto:info at deltard.org
"Philosophy Incorporated: Our Product Is Thought"