[ncdnhc-discuss] Re: guidance on .org

Jim Fleming jfleming at anet.com
Thu Dec 20 00:49:54 CET 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Chris Bailey" <chrisbailey at gn.apc.org>
> get away with imposing their narrow vested interests then, frankly, the
> whole concept of a specifically non-commercial domain name sector is
> virtually dead.

In my opinion, charging annual fees for domain names is virtually dead.
Ad-based sites can easily support the needed infrastructure to allow
people to enter their registration information in a free MySQL database,
running on a simple server with Linux or FreeBSD, and not a lot of
bandwidth. All of the pieces are now in place with Free PHP, etc.
A reasonable Internet programmer can put the whole thing together in
about a week. Next year, you will likely see TLD-IN-A-BOX on a
CD at your computer store.

Jim Fleming
http://www.IPv8.info
IPv16....One Better !!