[ncdnhc-discuss] ccSO

Jim Fleming jfleming at anet.com
Tue Dec 18 21:43:56 CET 2001

From: "Kent Crispin" <kent at songbird.com>
"I believe it is also unarguable that the ccTLDs are acting as a special
interest group.  The primary issues they are concerned with are issues
of contractual obligations and payments to ICANN."
---------

Most "non-profit" companies depend on donations to operate.
For-profit companies depend on payments from customers.
ICANN does not seem to fit in the "non-profit" package.

@@@ http://www.irs.ustreas.gov/prod/bus_info/eo/bl-req.html

Exemption Requirements - ยง 501(c)(6)  ...  "A business league, in general,
is an association of persons having some common business interest, the
purpose of which is to promote such common interest and not to engage in a
regular business of a kind ordinarily carried on for profit."  ...  "No
part of its net earnings may inure to the benefit of any private
shareholder or individual and it may not be organized for profit or
organized to engage in an activity ordinarily carried on for profit (even
if the business is operated on a cooperative basis or produces only
sufficient income to be self-sustaining)."

Jim Fleming
http://www.IPv8.info
IPv16....One Better !!