[ncdnhc-discuss] guidance on .org

Rob Courtney rob at cdt.org
Mon Dec 17 21:16:13 CET 2001

I agree that market enforcement of .org's identity as a resource for
non-commercial organization could be tough, though I don't agree with
Dave that the notion of a "sponsored unrestricted" domain is on its
face incoherent. I realize that the NC may not be receptive to this
any more, but it seems (at least to me) possible to define the .org
sponsor's constituency and authorities without resorting to
registration restrictions.

That said, and w/r/t the two proposals you listed in your message, I
think the first (unsponsored, unrestricted) is vastly preferable to
the second (sponsored, restricted). As has been said many times on
this list, it doesn't seem possible to have restrictions on .org
registrations without negatively affecting important non-commercial
usages, or online expression in general.

The principles you listed in your earlier note all look pretty good
to me, although (as has been said) item 5 may require compromise. If
principle 1 ("The governing body for newORG should be a non-profit
that is broadly representative of the noncommercial community.") were
really beefed up, then 5 might become less necessary. Principle 1
could include a requirement that the .org operator commit itself from
the outset to actively promoting of the interests of the global
non-commercial community in all aspects of the registry's management.
That is, something more than just being representative. (The TF
report language describing the sponsoring organization does some of
this.)