[ncdnhc-discuss] guidance on .org

Jefsey Morfin jefsey at wanadoo.fr
Sun Dec 16 08:21:25 CET 2001

On 21:48 17/12/01, Milton Mueller said:
>Good discussion so far, let's hear more. How about
>some non-US organizations?

As an organization the FRAX uses a ".com" (no money at .org renewal time!).
Among the sites and projects it supports there are around 110 .org most of
them run by a commercial project servicing non-profit and profit alike with
thrid party 3LDs.

Historically and marketingly the gTLD concept is only the legacy of the
early interconnects of the Internet having lost their original meaning. The
Unrestricted and Sponsored concepts are brand new and not fully
defined/validated yet: they only correspond if I am right to the way the
ICANN is managing its pool of Registrars.

I discussed the issue with Members. They mostly understand the TLDs as a
convient oriented flag. Their main concern is only the mnemonic aspect: for
people to be helped in remembering the flag attached to the domain name. So
they say gTLD as ".com" for commercial and ".net" for ... Miscrosoft are
OK. They mostly remember ".org" as "not being com and net". I explained
about ".pro", ".info", etc... they proposed quite unanimously that ".org"
names be duplicated as ".ngo" for those wanting it as they associated
".org" more with structures, groups, communities than with non-profit (they
would intuitively have proposed ".asso").

All of them said that Unrestricted/Sponsored split was inadequate and
opposing. With different explanations they all agreed that U/S should be
two extreme possiblities and that mosty of the TLD - at least for .org -
were "oriented".

One proposed a simple mechanism. That Louis Touton made a grid with the
general obligations of a TLD in two columns with boxes to check. An
Unrestricted TLD would check all the boxes on the left column and a
Sponsored TLD would check all the bexes on the right column. An Oriented
TLD would check boxes from one or from the other.

I suggest you carry the same poll. Explain the case to non-ICANN oriented
people and ask their inputs. After all they will have to live with it.
Jefsey