[ncdnhc-discuss] ICANN committee recommends voting restrictions,fewerAt-Large di rectors

Barbara Simons simons at acm.org
Thu Aug 30 09:10:18 CEST 2001

Unfortunately, Alexandro, some of us won't be in
Montevideo and therefore won't have the opportunity
to discuss the report with the ALSC there.

For my part, I couldn't care less about their reasoning.
The bottom line is that the representatives of the public
can be outvoted on every single issue, especially
bylaw changes.  The reality is that the at-large will be
made politically powerless.  Other details, such as the
anti-democratic imposition of a poll tax (how do they plan
to collect it in countries such as Nigeria, Romania, Vietnam,
Honduras, etc?), pale by comparison to the realpolitic of a
powerless set of representatives.

The conscious decision was made to exclude any supporters
of a strong at-large representation from the ALSC.  I shouldn't
have been surprised by the outcome, given the composition of
the committee.  Still, I had hoped that Bildt was enough of a
statesman that he would not advocate disenfranchising the at-large.

Sadly, I was wrong.

Regards,
Barbara