[ncdnhc-discuss] NCSO Formation Efforts in conjunction with ccSO

YJ Park yjpark at myepark.com
Thu Aug 30 08:06:40 CEST 2001

Dave, let me try to answer to your questions.

> There was no substantial discussion and certainly no group consensus about
> ncdnhc concerns.

No substantial discussion especially from Asia, Africa, Europe,
comparatively more discussion participation from Latin Amercia
and definitley dominated by NA(US) participants.

I have been wondering how I can encourage the participations from
those regions since I started to join ICANN process.

What I found out is

First, people do have different issues according to their economies
and technology development. However, ICANN process presumes
that everybody has been under similar environment, which is not true.

Second, "language" which I don't want to explain further..

Third, "culture" specially Asia culture which has made people
watch and read the comments and think and judge them on their
own criteria instead of speaking up in public, which might end
up with embarrassing someone, which they feel terribly sorry for.

This might be applied to Confucian-influenced Asian culture
rather than all over Asia, though. There is still striking difference
between in general "Agressive Americans or Westerners" and
"Reserved Asians", which has given the latter disadvantage so
far under current ICANN model.

If this Internet Governance model was to be proposed in Asia
from its beginning in very Asian manner, many people from West
might still struggle from learing whether it is time for silence for
"agreement" or whether it is time for smile for "full agreement" or
whether it is time for showering criticism for "strong objections" etc.

> This constituency has never articulated its concerns.
>
> Therefore there is no way that it can make claims that ICANN has failed to
> meet those concerns.

Usually public discussion doesn't really affect that much in Asian
decision-making process and interestingly I also found the same
fact in the ICANN process.

On the other hand, people in Asia has a power to choose the right
governnance body for themselves.

Thank you,
YJ