[ncdnhc-discuss] draft resolution on Intellectual Property and Top-Level Domains

Jefsey Morfin jefsey at wanadoo.fr
Fri Aug 24 03:28:50 CEST 2001

On 00:07 24/08/01, Anupam Chander said:
>Jeff,
>I assure you that I've read carefully RFC 920, and *every* other historical
>RFC regarding domain names, including the RFCs that talked only about
>"hosts" and "message headers."  I agree with you that Postel would have
>preferred, like many in this constituency, thousands of TLDs.
>
>I humbly disagree with that view, and, more importantly, do not feel that we
>are bound by those early intentions (which, in my opinion, were never
>realized).

Here I also humbly totally disagree. For various very good reasons!

1. I do not buy the definition creep. Basics in network architecture are
     consistency and simplicity. If anytime the Internet has been based
     upon RFC 920, the system stability calls for consistency with it
     or more general simplicity. Its the entropy principle: complexity
     degradation. In human beings it is named wisdom.

2. the main argument used by ICP-3 worshipers is "it has always been
     this way". You remark shows this was not.

3. organization TLD have been implemented: this is ".org". No demand
     came for moTLDs (partly implemented through ailing Real Names).

4. RFC 920 and als. is the embodiment by Jon Postel in 1988 of the
     then naming common practice. You will not make me believe that
     they intended to build a lower grade system than my old mine
     they had interfaced many times.

     I do not recall exactly their problem as I never related directly
     with them. We had a techie - may be someone in here may
     document - who ran a patch for the ARPA Gateways. I only recall
     that I was unhappy with it because they had to go international
     sometimes and their sequence could have created a conflict.

     Obviously they were English speaking and I was French speaking
     so they had changed the order. You should find back the people,
     I feel I recall it was for the Royal College in London. And they/we?
     put "uk". If you are interested I think I might find back our UK
     manager to ask him (Peter Warn). Unless he is here? I just
     recently found he one who suggested to add the dots.

But I can swear you that the world naming system has *never* been
hierarchical - it would have been imperialistically absurd. Who would
have been the root of the world, the USA? I went to an IBI conference
in 1978 (the concerned UN agency). I promoted the idea that as our
machines had ... 3 network links, one could go NY, one to Paris and
the last one to Moscow. At least a three rooted space :-)

Obviously this was my naming on our public solution. But with hundred
of thousands of users all through the world, supporting the X.121
standard in 50 countries, interfacing every administration and large
private interconnected systems of the time, interconnecting all the public
data services, operating the international data service of more than 30
PTTs and public operators and part of the State Department
Delegation to the CCITT (ITU/T).

Frankly do you really believe ARPA people would have been permitted
and funded to build something out of the real world and of lesser level?
I doubt it!

The proof is the way RFCs explain the tree. You might remember
that in the mid 80s you could not sell something without a tree.
B-Tree times. Since real life is never rooted except in Adam and Eve
you had empty roots everywhere. Dots. You will see in the RFCs:
this is the "U" in several drafts. Or the dot at the end of the domain
name sequence. The NeuLevel lawyer's "unique authoritative root"
is just that: the empty dot (in real life only emptiness is perfect
or it is divine). Obviously afterward when it came to design BIND the
dot may have blurred. May be people here can document.

But the Naming Space is obviously multi-layered. Nothing to do with
the Internet, just the way real world is.

>We need to recognize the domain name space for the hugely
>valuable assets it now entails-a value beyond the expectations of its
>designers (if you can find evidence to the contrary, I would be greatly
>interested).

You are true. And I can assure it was not "designed" :-)  I paid a
tribute a few times ago on the GA to all the people involved. I suppose
I still have it if you want it. It was only to keep quite the Italcable and
Bundespost International Data Service Managers.

The name space has no special value. This not because a lot of
people make you believe something that it is true. Wind has no
value. What has value is on what the wind blows.

>  And we need to tread carefully in giving out these valuable
>spaces to the first enterprising person who seeks them.

I am sorry here but I am afraid you did not understand the
way it works and what every RFC is spelling out. You read
Louis Touton too much. But Louis Touton is the guy with the
NeuLevel law suits, the Affilias sunrise, the NSI stock piling,
DoJ watching the Plan B, the $ 100;000 a month paid to
Jones Day, etc... Let get real.

Jon Postel has a very nice formula. He says the DNS is
recursive. In a nutshell this means that in an interconnection
the boss is the one who accepts to interconnect.

Internet is the consensus of its participants to communicate
in using the TCP/IP protocol set under the IP addressing plan
interfaced by the DNS. The boss is the participant. The only
thing he pays for is the IP address and a line. The rest is
its decision. Choice of the protocols, of the softwares, of the
OS, of the speed, of everything. A king in his domain. He
decide of the name of his belongings (3,4,LDs), of the way
one has to call his domain (SLD) and of the domain he wants
to interconnect (TLD).  Naming was human privilege - cf. God
and Adam in Genesis, until ICANN.

There is always the need for a King servant and for a
book keeper. The TLD Manager is the Interconnected Kings
servant. Please read RFC 1591: he his the trustee of the
Registrants community. The Registry is just the clerk.

There is no precious names :-) There is an expensive make
believe which brings a lot of undue money to the clerks.

NSI people were cute enough in allying with IP people to
make believe the DNs had a value. They have none. Zip.
DNs are public stuff. Like "mount McKinley" or "Eiffel
Tower". Before the war a guy sold the Eiffel Tower to a
Yankee: "La Fayette nous voilĂ " the revenge is that the
Yankees sold the French their own names. Great!

Now, it is true that running the DNS has a cost.And that
making paying the DNs is a quick and dirty solution.
But it is not the best as we see it every day. At least
the way we do it today (it does not respect the user's
rights).

More and more the IP people and TM owners understand
there is something wrong. Today thousands and thousands
of people are using .shop DNs. Great. But where is the TM
protection there?  I have asked the WIPO if they wanted to
consider an UDRP for my TLDs. Why not, I am open minded.
I asked Stuart.

They never responded.... yet.  :-)

Jefsey