[ncdnhc-discuss] draft resolution on Intellectual Property an d Top-Level Domains

Chris Chiu CCHIU at aclu.org
Wed Aug 22 22:45:48 CEST 2001

> Thanks to Chris for some thought-provoking resolutions.

No problem, Anupam--I appreciate your feedback.

> I write to note my disagreement with the part of the
> resolution on IP and
> TLDs that suggests that ICANN should approve all new
> technically-acceptable
> TLD applications.  That proposal is, in my opinion, terribly
> misguided.  The
> last thing that the non-commercial constituency should do is
> seek to help
> corporations with their attempts to gain (for free) valuable
> charters to
> domain name space.  If anything, we should support the efforts of
> not-for-profit entities to gain new TLDs.

I didn't mean to suggest that only corporations should gain charters to
domain name space. I agree with you--we should definitely support the
efforts of non-commercial groups to gain new TLDs.

That language was meant to address the "very stringent criteria" that ICANN
imposed the last time they solicited applications for new Top-Level Domains,
including the US $50 000 non-refundable application fee--a price that was
simply too high for many entities around the world, and essentially meant
the vast majority of proposals came from commercial interests in the West.

Sincerely,
Christopher Chiu
Global Internet Liberty Campaign Organizer
American Civil Liberties Union