[Membership-affairs] MAT's coordinator position is now vacant

Walid AL-SAQAF walid.al-saqaf at ims.su.se
Sun Sep 13 10:27:14 CEST 2015

Dear friends,

Some of you may have heard that my house in Yemen was bombed a couple of
months ago, leading to the death of my brother-in-law and my niece.
Fortunately, wasn't in Yemen at the time and I got a lot of support from
many friends from ICANN, ISOC, TED and beyond, for which I am tremendously
grateful.

But as you can imagine, this sudden and tragic event has knocked me off
balanced and severely affected my performance and many of my plans for the
year. It has also led me to enter new advocacy, humanitarian and legal
arenas that I wasn't prepared for and that require a lot of my attention
and time.

So I regret to inform you that I can no longer continue to coordinate the
membership affairs team (MAT).

It was a privilege and pleasure to collaborate and work with all of you. I
believe that some good initial steps were taken in the form of the survey,
whose results could serve as a point of departure for future work to
improve NCUC members' engagement.

The MAT coordinator's position is now vacant and I encourage those of you
who are interested, to take this opportunity, which would allow you to
engage more closely with the community and perhaps attend ICANN meetings
and relevant events.

Apologies for having to pull out without completing my first year as this
tragedy came so suddenly. But I will remain as part of the NCUC community
and contribute when I have the chance to do so.

I believe it is necessary to hand the role over so that MAT's work would
resume and intensify, particularly as ICANN is going through critical -and
even historic- times that require a seriously committed civil society
member to take over.

All the very best and thanks for your understanding.

Sincerely,

Walid Al-Saqaf