[Membership-affairs] Membership Affairs Coordinator and New Member Intake

Rafik Dammak rafik.dammak at gmail.com
Mon Jun 24 04:30:29 CEST 2013

Dear Ed,

thanks for the reply and comments:

> You are better placed than I am to actually make this work. As a member of
> the NCSG EC you are a member of the group whose inaction on membership
> applications caused me to suspend active large scale recruitment. All I
> could do was ask people to act on the applications. Cintra from NPOC was
> the only person who really responded. You are in a position to make things
> happen and I know you will.

yes the process is not optimal and there were hiccups unfortunately, we
already discussed about and trying to fix e.g. using automation and
better management of membership database.

While I am happy to listen to the feedback, I don't think that trying to
blame individuals is  the best or efficient way  to fix process related
issues. anyway I understood the frustration but lets focus on fixing them
and improve the situation . do you have any particular measure(s) or
action(s) in mind?

I am thinking for example if you or any ncuc member approach people
and encourage them to apply, it can be helpful to inform ncuc reps in EC
beforehand to make the process smoother and also having better
coordination.

btw I am not sure that Cintra is really responding neither the new npoc
rep. anyway you have access to the two files where we have ongoing and
pending applications and you can check the progress.

You are also better placed than I was  to respond to applicants who want to
> know why no action had been taken on their application. All I could do was
> in effect say "not my area of responsibility." The last thing you want to
> do to an enthusiastic young member to be  is try to explain NCSG/NCUC/NPOC
> relations. As a member of the NCSG EC who also is running the MA Committee
> the buck stops with you. I'm told by a former NCSG EC member it shouldn't
> take any longer than a week to approve new individual applicants. Hopefully
> you can get it closer to that standard than to the 4+ months some have
> currently been waiting.

again, coordination can help, to speed up things, it is much better to
coordinate outreach and application review beforehand to avoid contentious
cases .
the goal is not just to increase membership when we still
have engagement issue of our current members. we have to
work simultaneously in both fronts although that won't be an easy task.

> There are some outreach initiatives I've been working on that I will
> continue to work on in my role as an elected EC member. Although I have
> chosen not to do my work through Bill's committees, I will do my best to
> consult and cooperate with you as we try to achieve our mutually held goal
> of greater diversity and inclusion into the NCUC.  Roy, Amr and Nuno had
> some great ideas and I hope you're able to cooperatively produce output,
>  putting their thoughts into concerete work product in ways I was unable to.

yes indeed, I am happy to cooperate , many challenges for ncuc, if there
were none, it will be too easy nope :)?
many things to do for durban and after,

thanks,

Best,