[Membership-affairs] [NCUC-EC] NCUC Brochure

William Drake william.drake at uzh.ch
Tue Jun 11 13:05:21 CEST 2013

On Jun 11, 2013, at 3:49 AM, Milton Mueller <mueller.syr.edu at gmail.com> wrote:

> Sir Bill

Your Excellency,

> I am sending this from an email account not subscribed to NCUC-EC, so please forward

Sorry just seeing this, reply with your comments will go through

> On Mon, Jun 10, 2013 at 7:55 AM, William Drake <william.drake at uzh.ch> wrote:
>
> If that basic architecture doesn't make sense to you, suggest another.  What would you dump—mentioning some issues and positions?
>
> Basic and more generic.  We are the voice of civil society in ICANN (screw ALAC if they don't like it, we are), we support freedom of expression, privacy, rights, and uphold noncommercial values. We describe a thing or two we have actually done, like challenging TM power grabs or fighting for bottom up process.

I may be missing something, but this seems broadly consistent the sort of thing I was suggesting.  But discussing things ex ante in the abstract can do that…once we work on something concrete imagined/expected differences can easily be squared.

> We use imagery and color to make us look cooler and more exciting than the others.

Hmm…I guess whether we want to go with the revolutionary vanguard of the cool kids look, or the professional constituency in ICANN look, depends on who we think our 'audiences' are.  Would you woo big dog civil society groups with a sort of Guy Fawkes aesthetic?

> And we provide the key contact information: URL, email address for joining, names/emails of EC and glorious picture and personal mobile phone number of our fearless leader.

The latter would not be well advised.

> As to production: the point of using ICANN is not just financial, but reducing the work.  We send them text, tell them to add art and a paragraph of ICANN boilerplate, and a brochure appears.
>
> Holy moly, you want ICANN - ICANN!?!? - to choose the artwork? No, please. We have to control our own image. Anyway, if I know production processes of this sort, the only way to do this in a way that doesn't guarantee errors and tears is to give them what we used to call "camera-ready copy" and just let them print it.

Ok, well I'm talking with the graphical designer Ed mentioned who has applied to be a NCUC member (would be good if the NCSG EC could expedite) and will meet with him in Lisbon at EuroDIG.

>  If you guys would really prefer to do the extra work of collaborating with someone on the art design (Ed has suggested someone you could try) and then contracting with a printer and paying them and taking delivery and sending it on to Durban or to someone who's coming to Durban, that' is fine by me.
>
> My preferred option would be to tell ICANN that we will give them a finished layout by the required time and they will print 1000 copies of it. You might want to make 100 color copies yourself in Geneva just to be safe. If Ed can deliver the designer, let's you and I work out copy by the end of this week. The designer can work with Lorem Ipsum in the meantime.

Ok so you're on for working with me on the text.  Great.  Let's get it together by the weekend.  I've asked Viktor if we send text it'd be possible for him to drop it into a sample layout or two to bring with to EuroDIG in Lisbon next week, where we'll meet up.

Even if this goes like clock work and we have something viable by end of next week, we may not make ICANN's deadline.  I will ask them for more time, and an assurance they can get the brochures to me pre-travel or to my hotel in Durban.  If they can't give a serious assurance I agree with your prior suggestion of printing ourselves, but it really wouldn't work for me to do it, Swiss printing is outrageously expensive.  Someone with access to a lower cost option would have to handle it, and bring the copy in time for the summer school.

> Got any good photos? I like those ones of the famous "deferral moment" from the Costa Rica meeting myself!

I assume you refer to the attached.  An action photo would be nice, but I'm not sure a picture with an IPC lobbyist, an ISOC staff member, and an ICANN staff member quite captures who we are…

Best,

Bill