[Membership-affairs] Resignation

Edward Morris edward.morris at alumni.usc.edu
Mon Jun 10 20:48:43 CEST 2013

Hi everyone,

It is with deep regret that I need to announce my resignation as
facilitator of the NCUC Membership Affairs committee.

I care deeply about this Constituency and about the issues that this group
was committed to work on. The Committee structures were a valiant attempt
to reboot the NCUC. Bill Drake deserves a lot of credit for trying
something as innovative and as daring. He stepped up when no one else would
and we should all applaud his effort and goals.

I've come to the conclusion that the committees are not working. The
reasons are many, but for this particular committee I believe we really
need to up our infrastructure before taking on larger challenges. Slowly
these changes are taking place and we're getting close. Still, until we
have MIS integration between NCSG and NCUC and a commitment for faster
processing of membership applications I believe it's irresponsible to
conduct a large scale membership campaign. The things that need to be done
can be resolved, IMHO, easier without the bureaucracy of a committee
structure.

When people wait a long time to be admitted their enthusiasm evaporates.
I've had too many examples of folks who apply with great enthusiasm and
then lose interest while waiting to be admitted. I can't do that to people
any more. It benefits no one.

So, this is a great opportunity for someone to take up the challenge of
making this committee work in ways I could not. I'm hoping someone will
step up and help Bill by accepting the challenge of becoming facilitator of
this committee. I'll do my best to help whoever decides to take the role,
particularly with the 25 applicants waiting to be admitted. It's a great
challenge for someone willing to put the time, energy and effort in to
build a growing and more diverse NCUC.

Thank you all for your service.

Respectfully,

Edward Morris