[Membership-affairs] [NCUC-EC] NCUC Brochure

Carlos A. Afonso ca at cafonso.ca
Mon Jun 10 13:33:37 CEST 2013

+1 to MM's suggestions.

Probably printing it in Durban will be even cheaper?

frt rgds

--c.a.

On 06/09/2013 10:54 PM, Milton L Mueller wrote:
> Just weighing in
>
> I totally support the idea of having a brochure for Durban!
>
> I would advocate making the brochure a lot simpler and more focused on essential contact information and "branding" and far, far less text-heavy than the EuRALO brochure that we were shown. The EuRALO brochure is crisp and well done but I think it kind of misses the point in this day and age: the point is to establish a basic identity in the holder's mind and to provide them with the contact information and motivation to go to the online materials where they can get serious information.
>
> When I saw Ed's price quote ($350 for 1,000) I wondered WhyTF we are even bothering with ICANN. That's precisely the kind of thing we can easily do with our own budget. I don't mind using ICANN's money for that at all, however, I just wonder whether the constraints (tight deadline) and risks (will they actually deliver it on time?) are worth it. Hell, I would personally pay for it myself and bring them in my suitcase if I were going to Durban, but I am not, so we need to use other options.
>
> We don't want to print more than 1000 at a time, by the way, information gets dated really fast, so once we have established the template let's keep it in a format that is easily modifiable and print 1000 for every ICANN meeting.

pes of audiences, e.g. the tech press, the wider mass media, ICANN insiders, Internet governance generalists, etc.  ICANN replied that the request was not eligible for Fast Track consideration for FY 13 but said I should resubmit it as a Regular Budget Request for FY 14, which I subsequently did.  But I also pressed them for clarification on why we needed to wait to do anything with print materials when other groups' requests for the same were approved, the amount involved was small, and we had Durban coming up, and got back this accountant-speak reply,