[NCUC Finance] ICANN Budget Call ­Tonight, Need to Assemble Proposal

William Drake william.drake at UZH.CH
Tue Mar 5 14:22:37 CET 2013

Dear
anthony.nweke at gmail.com
avri at acm.org
bkuerbis at internetgovernance.org
maria.farrell at gmail.com
mueller at syr.edu
ncuc at tapani.tarvainen.info
william.drake at uzh.ch
wilson at isoc.ug
On March 1 I forwarded you the materials pertaining to tonight's call.  Is anyone besides me planning on joining it?

The deadline for submission of fast track budget requests is just a little more than two weeks away, 22 March.  So now would be the time work on any requests for the first trimester of FY14 (up to 10/31/2013).

1. That would definitely include any support we might seek for the IGF meeting in Bali.

2. It might also include any request we make for support for a policy conference in Durban, although I'm not sure on this point, not having been privy to the relevant conversations on potential support there.  Perhaps Milton knows, or we can check with Robin, whom we've hired to set up the Beijing thing that might happen, or Wolgang, who's agreed to serve as Facilitator of the Program Team.

3. And anything else we'd want to do in the time frame, e.g. if we wanted to have outreach materials like brochures in Durban…

4.  Note also that on the next day, 23 March, our response is due to our tool kit requests.  I just sent this list the questionnaire on that.

=>  So it would seem that the time has really come that Finance Team must spring to life, identify strategic priorities, work out proposals, and coordinate these through to the Exec. Committee for approval.

It would help to start by confirming that the current list subscribers are the members who are interested in working together on financial management (i.e. nobody missing who should be here, nobody here who doesn't want to be) and determining who our designated Facilitator of the process will be.  I'd thought the latter had been sorted out, but if need we can take another crack at it let's do that ASAP.

As to the items mentioned above,

*I can try to fill out 4) in collaboration with Robin as NCSG chair, but it would be good to have any input from the team here on the items listed before doing so.

*I am willing to lead draft a proposal on 1). What I'm pondering for Bali is

1.1  An Open Forum at which NCUC/NPOC/NCSG show their wares and talks about globalization of ICANN and why upstanding civil societians should consider joining the fray vis NC

1.2  A workshop, in the format of a debate (perhaps with audience vote at the end), on closed generics.  Since we have strong viewed members on more than two sides of this issue and could draw in some folks from other SGs/SO/ACs it might be a good way to broach new gLTD policy questions before a broader audience.  Could be a nice event.

1.3  We could write to Fadi and Sally and suggest that ICANN typical Open Forum should include SG reps and not just staff or chairs of stuff.

And/or something else?

We'd need to identify who all would really need to be there for this and than calibrate a properly tuneful request.  Might be good to have a look at the requests that NPOC, ALAC, SSAC, et al submitted for the IGF in Baku, all of which were apparently granted.

Ok, that's enough to get started…

Bill