[NCUC Finance] Hosting the NCUC E-Platform

Milton L Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Thu Feb 21 16:52:52 CET 2013

From: finance-bounces at lists.ncuc.org [mailto:finance-bounces at lists.ncuc.org] On Behalf Of William Drake

If we're talking about savings $100-$150 a year but that would involve much more effort on the part of already busy volunteers, my vote is to respect peoples' time and spend the extra bit of money.  Viewed in relation to other expenditures in our budget, this doesn't seem unreasonable.  Of course, fully document etc.

[Milton L Mueller] Haven't seen the proposal yet, but from what I've heard the "e-team" is talking about BOTH more money AND more time. As Wilson said, the VSP requires sophisticated programming in the initial stages, whereas Ning is an established platform and one simply needs to add and manage content to it. This is not to say that a greater investment isn't worth it; another $250/year is not a big deal imho. My main concern is being stranded. We have one historical episode of enthusiastic volunteers creating a web site and then losing interest and leaving us to start over again.