[NCUC Finance] Hosting the NCUC E-Platform

William Drake william.drake at uzh.ch
Wed Feb 20 23:01:06 CET 2013

On Feb 20, 2013, at 22:22, Milton L Mueller <mueller at syr.edu> wrote:

> My understanding of the bylaws is that the Executive Committee approves expenditures. The FT is a planning team created recently, is not mentioned in the charter, and has no specific authority other than to recommend.

Sure.  But insofar as the bylaws are already pretty far removed from practice in key respects, and the issue was one of developing a working process for building consensus which need not be specified in them, this wouldn't seem to be a deal stopper if people had wanted to do something else.  That said, elsewhere in this thread I agreed that there was no particular need to add a cycle of FT endorsement if people were ok with leaving it to the EC.  Having heard no arguments to the contrary, let's stick with the SQ.

> My advice would be to prepare a more specific proposal detailing requirements and costs and send it to the EC.
>
> One must be careful of ongoing expenditures, especially if they lock us in to anything that would be costly to get out of, but $400/year is certainly not out of reach.
>
> It does seem a bit high (without knowing the requirements) as the current Ning site is $235/year but if VPS does something that normal hosting doesn't, I am sure you can convince EC to approve it.

Wilson and Tapani, were there other vendors/options?  Agree with MM a little more detail/background wouldn't I hurt for an ongoing expenditure, even if it's less for a decade than we spend at a time on other stuff.

Thanks