[NCUC Finance] financial report for 2012

Milton L Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Mon Feb 4 15:38:15 CET 2013

Tapani:

You will notice that most expenditures are roughly linked to ICANN meetings, and so are the donations, except for PIR.

When .ORG was divested from what is now Verisign and given to ISOC in 2002-3, there was a beauty contest and we cleverly extracted commitments from a few of the applicants to make financial support to the NCUC part of their bid. The winning applicant for getting .ORG was the Internet Society's wholly-owned subsidiary PIR, which made one of the strongest commitments. (This is one of those history things that old-timers take for granted and we don't know that you don't know it, so good you asked ;-).

As that initial period recedes that commitment could probably be ignored, as it is not strictly part of their contract with ICANN, but we have maintained good relations with PIR and so far there are no signs of it happening; on the contrary, they have also provided support to NPOC.

NIC.BR's support consisted of special donations to the Toronto conference, I think. I think the 15 k PIR one may also be related to that. In earlier years, we have gotten special donations from other sources, such as Google or Craigslist.

Typically, we simply invoice PIR for those regular donations, and whoever is running our conferences hits them (and others) up for special donations. Whoever is chair is responsible for that, although sometimes PIR has to ask us for the invoice.

Hope that's clear.