[NCUC E-team] Gmail directing NCUC emails to spam

Tapani Tarvainen ncuc at tapani.tarvainen.info
Mon Jul 9 12:03:34 CEST 2018

Hi Renata,

There is no easy solution. Basically the problem comes from
spam-detection techniques that try to verify messages come only from
authorized machines, and that tends to break mailing lists.

E.g., when Google sees a message with sender something at gmail.com
coming from a non-google machine like ncuc list server, it considers
it a probable forgery.

If you have your own domain (like I do) you can add known list
servers to authorized machine list, but with Google &c that is
obviously not possible (unless you are Sergei Brin or something).

So you'll have to work with whatever options Gmail (or Hotmail
or Yahoo or whatever you use) offers.

For Google, look at

https://support.google.com/mail/answer/1366858

and specifically at "Messages from an unconfirmed sender".

Besides simply marking messages as "not spam", you can add
senders one by one as trusted:

https://support.google.com/mail/answer/185812#trusted_sender

As far as I can tell that really needs you to mark each member of the
mailing list separately as trusted, so not exactly convenient.
And I haven't tested to see if it actually works.

Alternative would be creating @ncuc.org aliases for everyone on the
list. That would also require everyone to set their email program to
use that address with the list (doable with Google as well as many
standalone email programs). So even less convenient, probably not
worth it unless such addresses are desired for other reasons.

Tapani