[NCUC E-team] List problems

Tapani Tarvainen ncuc at tapani.tarvainen.info
Wed Apr 13 07:53:32 CEST 2016

[Note Cc: e-team, followups about technical stuff there please]

Dear Grace, Zuan, all,

I took a look at server logs. The issue is indeed related to hotmail,
which was rejecting messages from NCUC's server as spam.

Tentative analysis suggests someone in the same network segment
as our server has been spamming and hotmail has decided to block
the entire segment. :-(

Alternatively they may have decided ncuc's mail is spam and blocked
specifically it, but that seems rather unlikely. It certainly isn't
on any well-known public blacklist now (just checked).

There is no obvious way to fix this at our end. We can contact
Gandi in the hope they can track down the culprit and persuade
Hotmail to take them off the blacklist.

For now, please Cc: Grace and Zuan explicitly.

As a band-aid solution I could set up non-hotmail relay addresses for
Zuan and Grace somewhere (like on my own server). That's not a very
sustainable or scalable solution, however - the problem affects all
ncuc lists, notably including ncuc-discuss, and doing this kind of
hack for all hotmail users there would not be exactly convenient.

--
Tapani

Apr 12 23:10:48 ncuc1 postfix/smtp[14189]: 7743EFDC: to=<********@hotmail.com>, relay=mx4.hotmail.com[65.54.188.126]:25, delay=0.72, delays=0.09/0.05/0.44/0.14, dsn=5.0.0, status=bounced (host mx4.hotmail.com[65.54.188.126] said: 550 SC-001 (BAY004-MC4F43) Unfortunately, messages from 92.243.29.158 weren't sent. Please contact your Internet service provider since part of their network is on our block list. You can also refer your provider to http://mail.live.com/mail/troubleshooting.aspx#errors. (in reply to MAIL FROM command))

The link given

"550 SC-001 Mail rejected by Outlook.com for policy reasons. Reasons
for rejection may be related to content with spam-like characteristics
or IP/domain reputation."

On Tue, Apr 12, 2016 at 09:11:34PM +0000, Grace Githaiga wrote:

> @PeterI have had the same problem. Maryam brought this to my attention day before yesterday. I actually thought that I had been unsubscribed as a result of using my hotmail, as a result not gotten some emails. I realize I am not the only one. Maybe it is the same with Milton. I suspect it is a problem with the system.
> RgdsGrace

> From: Peter Green <**********@hotmail.com>

[...]