[NCUC E-team] Mailing list problems, OS upgrade

Tapani Tarvainen ncuc at tapani.tarvainen.info
Tue Nov 3 14:36:09 CET 2015

Dear all,

You may have noticed Bill's problems with ncuc-discuss list.

The reason was easy enough to find in logs:

"550-5.7.1 Unauthenticated email from yahoo.com is not accepted due to
domain's 550-5.7.1 DMARC policy. Please contact administrator of
yahoo.com domain if 550-5.7.1 this was a legitimate mail. Please visit
550-5.7.1 https://support.google.com/mail/answer/2451690 to learn
about DMARC 550 5.7.1 initiative."

For those who don't know about DMARC, what this means is that
Yahoo has in effect deliberately broken traditional mailing
lists by declaring that all mails with yahoo.com -addresses
coming from anywhere but Yahoo's own servers are spam,
and Google takes that at face value.

That means that Yahoo users' messages to the list
will not reach Google users.

There's a workaround in recent versions of Mailman,
but rather than upgrade just it, I think it'd be better
to upgrade the entire operating system.

It is normally a fairly easy process to go from one Ubuntu
version to another, if all goes well it should not
cause more than a few minutes interruption in the website,
no mail should be lost, only possibly delayed a little,
although it's always possible all doesn't go well.

Given the geographical distribution of our membership
there's no really good time for any downtime, so I'm
planning to go ahead and do it a bit later tonight unless
someone objects - I'd want it done before leaving to
João Pessoa on Thursday.