[NCUC E-team] updating the website

William Drake wjdrake at gmail.com
Sun Jan 26 19:39:45 CET 2014

Hi Stefania

On Jan 26, 2014, at 4:58 PM, Milan, Stefania <Stefania.Milan at EUI.eu> wrote:

> Dear everyone
>
> I have volunteered to update the website, but before proceeding I would like to share with you the TO DOs list, for both approval and integration.

Really appreciate you taking charge here.

For the meeting slide, I suppose a link to http://singapore49.icann.org/en and a pic of the Raffles center?

For the members slide, when we add new members to the data base I guess the text at http://www.ncuc.org/participate/members/ and slide have to be revised.

> SOI: many of EX members still haven't created it- will write them.

Thanks, I sent messages about Confluence but may have overlooked this

> working teams: shall we have simply the name of the main contact person?

While there’s a pretty high level of dormancy that will change in at least some cases, e.g. as the events comm ramps up for Singapore and the bylaws does in Q2.  Personally I think there’s at least a chance that listing members might create more of a sense that there’s people involved in stuff and incent people to join than if we only list coordinators.

One thing we can certainly do is update. Rafik is no longer the MA coordinator, and nobody’s offered to replace yet.  ET should list you on a separate line as coordinator, Events should list me and delete Wolfgang who’s now a board member, Bylaws is now Carlos II, who will need to sign up for the list.

I’m also hoping EC members will join the events team and be involved in or at least aware of Singapore meeting planning.

> events - this is the page in need for urgent updating: Singapore in the "forthcoming" and BA will moved to the "Past". Any material that we could add to document the BA meeting?

A few suggestions---

1.  http://www.ncuc.org/events/ looks lonely for links when we sort out what goes under it.

2.  So far http://www.ncuc.org/events/past-conferences-and-workshops/ is just events we organized, as opposed to what we did within the ICANN meeting program like Constituency Days.  So moving a link to the BA meeting there would be odd as we didn’t organize anything. Shouldn’t we fix the lack of category/kind parallelism in the structure between e.g. forthcoming-“events" (which has a link to an ICANN meeting page) and past-"conferences-and-workshops" (which is stuff we’ve organized at said meetings)?

If we wanted to be more consistent and comprehensive, why not have separate pages for

a.  "NCUC Conferences and Workshops”   http://www.ncuc.org/events/conferences-and-workshops/

Link to anything upcoming and list with links to past.  I’d argue for getting rid of the http://www.ncuc.org/events/forthcoming-events/ space.  When we have something coming up we’ve organized, wouldn’t it be better to have it on our home page and then linked to a sole-identified page like ‘Singapore conference’ or whatever rather than dumped into a generic ‘forthcoming’ space?  Then after the fact we the events move to the above?

BTW I notice that http://www.ncuc.org/events/past-conferences-and-workshops/ is missing the “in-meeting" workshop at Durban:

https://durban47.icann.org/node/39643 [agenda and transcript links]

b.  "NCUC @ ICANN Meetings”  http://www.ncuc.org/events/icann-meetings

For each meeting we could include links to the ICANN meeting pages, NCSG meeting pages, and especially to our CD agendas per meeting, currently poorly scattered about in Confluence e.g.

https://community.icann.org/display/gnsocouncilmeetings/NCUC+Buenos+Aires+Meeting+2013-11-19

https://community.icann.org/display/gnsocouncilmeetings/NCUC+Constituency+Day+Meeting%2C+Tuesday+16+April+2013%2C+9%3A00-12%3A30pm

https://community.icann.org/display/gnsocouncilmeetings/Agenda+for+NCUC+Constituency+Day+Meeting+@+Beijing%2C+Tuesday+9+April+2013%2C+9%3A00-12%3A30pm

c.  “NCUC @ Other Meetings” http://www.ncuc.org/events/other-meetings

Where we could have links to stuff done elsewhere.  For ex, we had three workshops at IGF Bali, could link to transcripts, agenda/workshop report, etc.   Presumably we’ll have IGF Instanbul etc. down the line, any outreach stuff that happens with CROPP funds, whatever.   We could even list selected stuff that members do elsewhere, maybe this would incentivize some folks to provide content….?

My bottom line is given our collective bandwidth scarcity, when we do put the time and effort into making stuff happen, it ought to be be listed and leveraged.  What do folks think?

> There is an odd link on the footer of the website that says "Resources". It does not have a corresponding menu item. Do we need it? Shall we link it from somewhere?

Not sure what was intended, but I’d delete, we can always put it back later if we develop some

> the "About" menu item does not correspond in content to the "About" items in header and footer. Is there any special reason for this, or should it be amended?

Amended

> Once I get the password (which I don't seem to be able to find)

We gotta get all this documentation together

> I will also check how the text in the boxes on the home page is generated. A couple of those need updating too.

Lots of things need updating, we just need some folks to want to put a bit of time in playing with it.  Content, not necessarily just an ET issue.  If I may, I’ll just reforward some messages

> Any suggestion/special request/objection? Remember I am new here, so any feedback is very much appreciated!

Might be worth peeking at some prior discussions, I know I sent some listings prior of empty pages, stuff needing fixing, etc, think others did too.  Here’s two

http://lists.ncuc.org/pipermail/e-team/2013-June/000427.html

http://lists.ncuc.org/pipermail/e-team/2013-December/000521.html

Some day folks who are interested might want to organize a working call on Adobe, might be easier than typing lots of long detailed messages etc.  Perhaps when we’re getting the Singapore site up…?

Thanks again,

Bill