[NCUC E-team] Gandi Admin contact, certificates

Tapani Tarvainen ncuc at tapani.tarvainen.info
Sat Jan 18 17:03:10 CET 2014

I am still the Administrative Contact for ncuc.org at Gandi.
I think it would be a good idea and this would be a good time to
transfer that function to Pranesh. Among other things it'd allow him
to manage certificates there.

Any objections?

- All technical functions related to the domain can be
done by any of Owner (Brenden), Admin Contact (now me)
and Technical Contact (now Wilson). The primary difference
is that Admin and Owner can change other roles but Tech cannot,
and ownership carries some legal significance.
Billing contact can only pay bills.

On Wed, Jan 15, 2014 at 11:21:28AM -0500, Brenden Kuerbis (bkuerbis at internetgovernance.org) wrote:

> I have no preference, but I believe Tapani suggested the Gandi cert.
> We already use them for various other services so it may make things
> administratively easier.

Yes. I have used (and continue to use) StartSSL as well, and while
their certificates work as advertized, it is rather obvious they
are cheaper because of their customer support (or lack thereof).
Dealing with them requires a level of technical sophistication so
to speak - no problem for Pranesh obviously enough, but in the future
it might become necessary for someone less experienced to deal
with them. And the cost is rather small even with Gandi, especially if
only 1-3 single-domain certificates are needed (12 euros/year each)
rather than a wildcard one (€120/year).