[NCUC E-team] NCUC Archive

Brenden Kuerbis bkuerbis at internetgovernance.org
Wed Jan 15 17:21:28 CET 2014

Hi Pranesh,

Thanks for taking the initiative on this!

On Wed, Jan 15, 2014 at 10:38 AM, Pranesh Prakash <pranesh at cis-india.org> wrote:
> Dear Brenden / Tapani / all,
> Would you be so kind as to create a user account for me ('sol') with ssh access (I've attached my ssh key's RSA fingerprint) and an entry in the sudoers file?

David, since you are receiving NCUC's Linux system admin root messages
and admin other Linux systems (and are therefore far more
knowledgeable than I), could you help with this?

 > (Does it run Linux or *BSD?)
>
> Also, what format is the member's database in, and where is it stored?  Is is a {My,Postgres}SQL{ite} db?  Or just a vanilla CSV file (for that's all we really need, it would seem)?  Stefania's volunteered to bring that up to date, and I wouldn't mind helping out too.

Info on the database here:
http://lists.ncuc.org/pipermail/e-team/2013-December/000525.html

FYI, Tapani did a series of emails in December to the e-team list on
various systems that need to be maintained. That would be a good place
to start to familiarize yourself.

> Once that is done, I suggested to Bill that one of the things I could do is set up a permanent chatroom (XMPP MUC at, say, ncuc at chatroom.ncuc.org) and create {firstname.lastname}@ncuc.org JIDs for all members.  I'm comfortable with Prosody (and it takes 10-20 minutes to set up, depending on the trouble with certs).

Sounds like a good idea.

> Also, as Tapani noted in one of his earlier emails, NCUC is right now using a self-signed cert.  We should migrate to a CA-provided cert, and the two better options seem to be Gandi.net and StartSSL.  Gandi.net's wildcard certs are much more expensive than StartSSL, but StartSSL only issues Class 2 wildcard certs (meaning we need send them a little bit of paperwork about NCUC), while Gandi.net issues Class 1 wildcard certs too.

I have no preference, but I believe Tapani suggested the Gandi cert.
We already use them for various other services so it may make things
administratively easier.

-- Brenden