[NCUC E-team] NCUC Archive

Pranesh Prakash pranesh at cis-india.org
Wed Jan 15 16:38:31 CET 2014

Dear Brenden / Tapani / all,
Would you be so kind as to create a user account for me ('sol') with ssh access (I've attached my ssh key's RSA fingerprint) and an entry in the sudoers file?  (Does it run Linux or *BSD?)

Also, what format is the member's database in, and where is it stored?  Is is a {My,Postgres}SQL{ite} db?  Or just a vanilla CSV file (for that's all we really need, it would seem)?  Stefania's volunteered to bring that up to date, and I wouldn't mind helping out too.

Once that is done, I suggested to Bill that one of the things I could do is set up a permanent chatroom (XMPP MUC at, say, ncuc at chatroom.ncuc.org) and create {firstname.lastname}@ncuc.org JIDs for all members.  I'm comfortable with Prosody (and it takes 10-20 minutes to set up, depending on the trouble with certs).

Also, as Tapani noted in one of his earlier emails, NCUC is right now using a self-signed cert.  We should migrate to a CA-provided cert, and the two better options seem to be Gandi.net and StartSSL.  Gandi.net's wildcard certs are much more expensive than StartSSL, but StartSSL only issues Class 2 wildcard certs (meaning we need send them a little bit of paperwork about NCUC), while Gandi.net issues Class 1 wildcard certs too.

I think it would also be useful to create a schedule / timeline for the tasks that the e-team is going to do over the course of the next few months.

Regards,
Pranesh

Brenden Kuerbis <bkuerbis at internetgovernance.org> [2014-01-13 12:02:38 -0500]: