[NCUC E-team] Policy Materials for Space on the New Website

William Drake william.drake at uzh.ch
Fri May 17 10:46:18 CEST 2013

Hi

If per this morning's mail you folks are progressing things technically serious about launching before Durban, we'll need to start to have a more inclusive discussion about content and what we want the site to have etc.

In that context, I just looked at http://new.ncuc.org/policy/  Presumably the top page will need some overview material that has to be composed about the nature and scope of NCUC policy work.  I'm utterly jammed until June and can't work on this soon but if anyone else wants to take a crack at starting an outline/framework we can evolve, please do.

From there I see you have links for Correspondence, Motions, and Public Comments.  We might want to add something broader like Position Statements, especially if we and/or NCSG ever get to doing Issue Briefs or the like.

We might also want to have some sort of link here to relevant pages of individual members who write stuff…

Anyway, to my main point.  NCUC member Roy Balleste recently joined the e-team.  On top of being an IG scholar, Roy is a professional librarian who if memory serves built a data base for the Global Internet Governance Academic Network.  Roy has assembled a a group and offered to do the same for NCUC, pulling together all our policy stuff from over the years.  See below.

So

1.  We need for people who have NCUC policy materials from over the years----Correspondence, Motions, Public Comments,  Position Statements, etc.—buried somewhere on their computers to send that material to Roy;

2.  Roy, Wilson and Tapani in particular might want to conspire a bit on how to get this stuff onto the website.

Thanks,

Bill

Begin forwarded message:

> From: William Drake <william.drake at UZH.CH>
> Subject: Re: NCUC Database
> Date: April 14, 2013 6:16:45 PM GMT+02:00
> To: "Balleste, Roy" <rballeste at stu.edu>
> Cc: "'Robin Gross' (robin at IPJUSTICE.ORG)" <robin at IPJUSTICE.ORG>, "Garcia, Iraida" <igarcia at stu.edu>, "Hurst, Jacob R." <JHurst at STU.EDU>
>
> Hi Roy and other magic librarians,
>
> Greetings from a train somewhere south of Zurich.  Many thanks for your interest and willingness to help out, this is great.  It would be really useful if we could pull together as much as possible of NCUC's policy statements and any related materials since 1999 and make them easily accessible via the new website under construction.  Of course, this will require that the folks who've got these docs on their computers dig them out and forward them to you.  In any event, first I guess you should coordinate with the e-team folks who are reworking the website to get the modalities sorted.  Then whenever you're ready to start aggregating docs just say the word on ncuc-discuss and I'll follow up and pester people a bit.  And sure, pulling together stuff done under the NCSG label over the past couple years would be sensible as well.  Where to put it etc are issues that can be sorted out when we get there…
>
> Cheers,
>
> Bill
>

> On Apr 12, 2013, at 4:06 PM, "Balleste, Roy" <rballeste at stu.edu> wrote:
>
>> Dear Bill,
>>
>> I wanted to share with you that I have assembled a team to create a database for the NCUC, which we will develop during the next year, and showcase in London, next summer.
>> I am copying Robin, because, we would be happy to extend it to the NCSG.  Of course, since you asked first, NCUC will be developed first. :)
>>
>> Iris Garcia, which you met in Vilnius, helped me develop the GigaNet version, and is happy to work with me in this endeavor.  Jacob Hurst, I hope you will meet in the future.
>> He is also enthusiastic of the possibilities.  We are happy to bring librarian magic. :)
>>
>> Best,
>>
>> Roy
>>

>> Roy Balleste, J.S.D.
>> Professor of Law