[NCUC E-team] Hosting the NCUC E-Platform

Tapani Tarvainen ncuc at tapani.tarvainen.info
Mon Mar 4 15:01:49 CET 2013

On Mar 04 16:44, Wilson Abigaba (wilson at isoc.ug) wrote:

> Ok, Could we have the details so that we start work, please?
>
> We need to create the VPS.

Before doing much else we should agree on who does what
and in particular conventions on how we document what we do.

I'm still on the road (in Europarliament in Brussels),
but I'll get home tonight, then I should have more
time for this, but here're some quick thoughts:

General idea should be that everything is documented well
enough that if someone's run over by a truck, another
person can pick up from there.
In particular, everything done as root should be documented
well enough that another linux-knowledgeable person can
redo it without much thinking.
I'm in the habit of writing log files with cut'n'paste-able
commands showing exactly what I've done, in addition
to short comments explaining what they're for.
(I use emacs with macros for automatic timestamping,
but that's less important.)
I'd also like to set up automatic saving of root
shell histories.
And all admins should have their own logins rather
than using root directly, preferably using only
ssh with rsa authentication, and perhaps
even that limited to specific IPs.

More later,