[NCUC E-team] Hello

Edward Morris edward.morris at alumni.usc.edu
Tue Jun 11 17:36:06 CEST 2013

Hi everyone,

As some of you know,  I've decided to reorient my NCUC participation away
from the Committee structure implemented at the beginning of the year. I'm
still happy,  enthusiastic and willing  to help out with projects on an ad
hoc basis, focused more on problem solving than on committee building.

There are a few ongoing issues and suggestions I'd like to leave with you
guys for your consideration and possible action:

1. We are approaching 100 individuals who have applied for membership
through the old site. Many of these are not real people. Some are people
who have applied through the proper process. There are some, though, who
may be real and may be waiting for some contact.

I had intended to do a mass mailing to all those who have applied,
directing them to the proper application procedure. I'd suggest whomever
follows me as the facilitator for Membership Affairs do this, or Bill or
one of the e-team members. For whatever time I'm still on the EC I'm happy
to create the content in that capacity if others can create the list. There
is bound to be someone there who believes they really have applied for
membership and are waiting for a response. We should get them.

2. In the web site design, please include a place for current members to
recommend potential members. Institutionalizing a membership referral
process may yield a decent return. As many of our current members joined as
a result of personal referral it might be nice to make it easier for them
to continue to do so.

3. We need something to drive traffic. The YouTube numbers for our
fantastic video are disappointing. A "link" section might be of help. Every
other day I seem to be stumbling onto a blog or newsletter involving IG and
internet issues. We could ask our members to send us links to what they're
looking at, add some ICANN and various IGF links and, presto, we could be
on our way to being a menu source for all things IG. Once word got out (I'm
happy to help with SEO) the links could draw them in and hopefully they
would stick around and see what the NCUC is all about.

That's it for now. I won't be on the committee lists but I'll be on the
membership lists and am always available by Skype or e-mail. Good luck with
everything and if I can help just let me know. Looking forward to the new
website.

Ed