[NCUC E-team] Mailing lists

Edward Morris edward.morris at alumni.usc.edu
Tue Jan 22 17:58:25 CET 2013

>> i am not in favor of discuss at ncuc as i think that is partial duplication
>> of ncsg-discuss.  i stil think we need the ncsg-discuss list as the primary
>> general discussions list.
>>

> Agree with that sentiment.
>

>> how about: members at ncuc for all the administrative and general
>> discussions - the list for subsidiarity stuff
>>

> Ok, so to put in a document to circulate with NCUC:
>
> The NCUC maintains a "members" list (e.g., members at ncuc.org) for general,
> administrative discussion.  This list is closed to Constituency members
> only, but is publicly archived (?).
>
> The Stakeholder Group maintains a "discussion" list (e.g.,
> discuss at ncuc.org) for policy deliberation by NCSG members.  This list is
> closed to members of NCSG Constituencies (NCUC, NPOC, etc.), but is
> publicly archived.

I disagree with restricting the NCUC list to general, administrative
discussion.

There is certainly disagreement over the role of constituencies. Our
platforms should be neutral in these disagreements.

I will point out that structurally the NCUC has a PC. In terms of
structure, the NCUC has a policy remit. I see no reason to restrict the
NCUC list to administrative discussions. In fact, structurally I submit
policy discussion should begin at the constituency level (the bottom of the
bottom up process), be consolidated at the SG level, advanced at the GNSO
level.

That fact is, though, it doesn't matter what any of us think. People will
go where they want to go and that's how it should be. As the only general
list in the Constituency we need to keep the NCUC as open as possible. Let
people go where they want. Some members, particularly some of our newer
ones, might find it nice to be able to post some policy ideas where they
might not be shut down by some of the NPOC people or ALAC liaisons. As
decisions are made on the new gTLD applications it might be a nice place to
discuss some of our own more liberal free expression and IP ideas, free of
NPOC participation. Or maybe not - let it develop organically.

Might I hazard a guess that a free and open NCUC discussion list might also
 help us migrate some discussions from private lists. That would be a good
thing as well.