[NCUC E-team] Mailing lists

Tapani Tarvainen ncuc at tapani.tarvainen.info
Tue Jan 22 06:00:22 CET 2013

On Mon, Jan 21, 2013 at 09:46:13PM -0500, Joly MacFie (joly at punkcast.com) wrote:

> If it will be on lists.ncuc.org or preferably @ncuc.org as the domain,
> do we need ncuc on the left of the @?

Not really. The point in that, as well as using -discuss
in the name, would be to suggest continuity with history
(no big deal, I expect "discuss at ncuc.org" would be
nicknamed "ncuc discuss" anyway at least in speech).

> On Mon, Jan 21, 2013 at 6:28 PM, Avri Doria <avri at acm.org> wrote:

> > If we want it to be complementary to NCSG-Discuss, I recommend we
> > not use - DISCUSS, as that makes it seem a replacement.

Well, it will replace part of NCSG-DISCUSS, and at least Bill
wanted to preserve the history by importing the archives of
old NCUC-DISCUSS/NCSG-NCUC-DISCUSS/NCSG-DISCUSS to it, too.

Which part of NCSG-DISCUSS it will replace remains to be seen;
it could be seen as complementary even with -discuss name,
in the sense that it'd take over NCUC-specific discussions.
If we want to limit it to only utilitarian stuff and keep
all, even NCUC-specific, policy debates in NCSG-DISCUSS,
then another name would be better.

The name choice would no doubt have some effect on it, as a
hint of what we think should go there, although I doubt it
would matter much in the end, these things tend to live
their own life.

> > How about something utilitarian like NCUC-Work

Why not.

But it occurs to me it might be useful to create _two_
new lists: besides -work/-discuss/whatever, also
NCUC-ANNOUNCE or something like that, where (at least almost)
all members would be subscribed but posting privileges limited
to select few (like the EC) and volume kept very low -
just announcements of elections &c, but no discussions
(even Reply-To: could go to the work list).

For I'm quite sure the volume of the work list, whatever
the name, will drive some members away pretty soon, and
it would be useful to be able to reach them anyway.