[NCUC E-team] Mailing lists

Tapani Tarvainen ncuc at tapani.tarvainen.info
Sun Jan 20 21:38:30 CET 2013

On Sun, Jan 20, 2013 at 06:29:33PM +0100, William Drake (william.drake at uzh.ch) wrote:

> It appears the message I just sent to the finance team list awaits your approval because
>
> Message body is too big: 1372307 bytes with a limit of 40 KB
>
> Sometimes we will need to be able to send each other attachments, so
> you might want to tweak that?

Sure. I removed the size limit completely, no real need for it in such
a small list. (If you prefer to have some limit, it can be set at
whatever you want.)

> I've never been on a list that receives messages from the great
> beyond. Don't you think it odd for outsiders to be able to post to
> lists they cannot read, and for list members to receive
> interventions from outside the group, which may or may not be
> constructive? Don't know about anyone else but I would much prefer
> the normal configuration.

Well, here it was intended just to allow list members to use multiple
addresses, but it is actually quite common to have lists accepting
outside messages, e.g., admin teams handling user requests.
Which might be applicable here as well.

> >> And to ensure that, and otherwise be able to manage things (e.g.
> >> some teams like communication and the Beijing program we might want
> >> to keep small), the coordinator of each team should have to approve
> >> them and let you or whomever else is administering know, yes?
> >
> > Yes. Or I could give coordinators moderator passwords so they
> > can approve them themselves. You could ask the coordinators which
> > way they want to do it.

> I would guess that we are not going to have significant numbers of
> people seeking to join any of the teams, so central management is
> probably a lower transaction cost scenario…

Probably. I trust there're some volunteers in the team to
take care of it when I'm away.