[NCUC E-team] Mailing lists

William Drake william.drake at uzh.ch
Sun Jan 20 18:29:33 CET 2013

Hi Tapani

It appears the message I just sent to the finance team list awaits your approval because

Message body is too big: 1372307 bytes with a limit of 40 KB

Sometimes we will need to be able to send each other attachments, so you might want to tweak that?

Also,

On Jan 20, 2013, at 4:32 PM, Tapani Tarvainen <ncuc at TAPANI.TARVAINEN.INFO> wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 20, 2013 at 04:24:48PM +0100, William Drake (william.drake at uzh.ch) wrote:
>
>> Uh, just to be clear on this, it should be configured so that only
>> NCUC members can join, right?
>
> Nobody can join (nor read archives) any of the lists unless admin
> (just me, now) agrees. But now anybody can post messages to the e-team
> list, without joining it. On other lists, outsiders can't post
> messages either, only list members can.
>
> If you want any changes there, just let me know.

I've never been on a list that receives messages from the great beyond. Don't you think it odd for outsiders to be able to post to lists they cannot read, and for list members to receive interventions from outside the group, which may or may not be constructive?  Don't know about anyone else but I would much prefer the normal configuration.

>> And to ensure that, and otherwise be able to manage things (e.g.
>> some teams like communication and the Beijing program we might want
>> to keep small), the coordinator of each team should have to approve
>> them and let you or whomever else is administering know, yes?
>
> Yes. Or I could give coordinators moderator passwords so they
> can approve them themselves. You could ask the coordinators which
> way they want to do it.

I would guess that we are not going to have significant numbers of people seeking to join any of the teams, so central management is probably a lower transaction cost scenario…

Thanks much for launching the lists!!!!!!

Bill