[NCUC E-team] Mailing lists

Tapani Tarvainen ncuc at tapani.tarvainen.info
Sun Jan 20 09:23:07 CET 2013

All,

As you no doubt have noticed, you've been subscribed to
this newly-created e-team mailing list.
The list currently lives on Effi's Mailman server;
this is a temporary arrangement decided on by a secret
inner circle, namely Bill, Wilson, Brenden and me. :-)
There's not much time left before LA so we felt we
need something *now*, and this was an easy way to do it.

Similar lists have been created for all teams.
The plan is to move the lists to our own server later,
which should be easy enough if we stick to Mailman.

While you all are obviously used to mailing lists,
one point is perhaps worth explaining:

Subdomain "lists.ncuc.org" was used instead of plain "ncuc.org",
because we might one day want to keep lists on a separate
machine (e.g., so that they'd go on working even when the
main machine is down) and we haven't decided how we
would want to use @ncuc.org addresses in general.
Also it is less confusing to use same domain in addresses
as in the web interface, and that can't be at ncuc.org
(at least not before we get rid of Ning).

It is of course possible to create @ncuc.org -aliases
for some (or even all) lists if desired, and it might
make some sense for some more public lists like the
planned members list, but I would suggest sticking
to @lists at least for the internal teams.