[NCUC E-team] Ning migration

Brenden Kuerbis bkuerbis at internetgovernance.org
Fri Feb 22 22:22:14 CET 2013

On Fri, Feb 22, 2013 at 11:46 AM, Tapani Tarvainen <
ncuc at tapani.tarvainen.info> wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 22, 2013 at 10:22:07AM -0500, Brenden Kuerbis (
> bkuerbis at internetgovernance.org) wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Feb 22, 2013 at 3:41 AM, Tapani Tarvainen <
> > ncuc at tapani.tarvainen.info> wrote:
>
> > > Six weeks is a short time. I think we should be able to have
> > > _something_ up by then, but whether we're able to migrate
> > > everything we want from Ning so fast, I wouldn't bet on it.
>
> > I think you'll be surprised how little actual content there is on
> > the Ning site. Plus Ning makes it fairly painless to export what
> > data we want to keep.
>
> OK, if you say so. I have no experience of exporting stuff out of Ning.
> Static pages should of course be easy but anything more structured
> and dynamic may be harder.

Ning has an archive utility which allows you to selectively download data
for each feature (e.g., Members, Blogs, etc.). This includes a json file
and the associated media files (jpgs, pdfs, etc.).  I'm downloading the
content as we speak.

I've seen a Ning to WP import tool as well.

> > IMO, we can migrate the essential info in advance of Beijing (e.g.,
> > blog posts, charter, officers), setup some static pages for each
> > group (e.g., e-Team) and do the rest as we can.
>
> Sounds good.
>
> Does Ning make it easy to change the URL - say,
> leaving the Ning site as old.ncuc.org for a while?

I think we're stuck with ncuc.ning.com (ncuc.org points to that URL). I
guess we could keep the old site up and note that it is "old", but I think
this will invite confusion.

> (If not I guess we can simply make a static mirror of it.
> Might be good idea just for historical reasons anyway.)

I just assume build the new site, update the domain name, cut over and
vanquish the old one to the dustbin!

-- B