[NCUC E-team] platform choice

Tapani Tarvainen ncuc at tapani.tarvainen.info
Fri Feb 22 18:11:36 CET 2013

On Fri, Feb 22, 2013 at 10:47:30AM -0500, Brenden Kuerbis (bkuerbis at internetgovernance.org) wrote:

> I don't recall hearing any discussion that occurred in LA, but a handful of
> suggestions have been made on list regarding content management platform
> (CMP).   AFAIK, we've raised WordPress, Drupal, Joomla as possibilities.

Yes. See also http://effi.muistio.tieke.fi/59?
(etherpad is one of the things I'd want in our VPS...)

> The way I look at it, WP is easiest to install, customize
> (e.g., design) and maintain.

WP is indeed easy and very widely used.
Drupal is somewhat more powerful but also more complex.
Other alternatives we've more or less ruled out
(if only because none of us knows them well enough,
or in some cases because some of know them too well...).

So, WP is fine with me.

> It supports basically any business function we've talked
> about (e.g., constituent relationship management (CRM), email lists,
> project management, event calendar, etc.) via plugins.  Although,
> honestly, I'm not sure we need more beyond a CMP, CRM, email lists, and
> perhaps a collaborative document editor capability.

We do need that, I think - but there's an etherpad lite plugin for WP
(participad). So that's not a problem.

I've been less than impressed with WP's project management tools
in the past though, but it's been a while, and it does seem
there're lots of them I've never even tried:
https://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/tags/project-management
I guess one of those will do for us.
If not, a separate tool like redmine could be used
(there're some tools for integrating redmine and WP, too).

Any ideas on how to handle member pages?