[NCUC E-team] [NCUC Finance] Hosting the NCUC E-Platform [process]

William Drake william.drake at uzh.ch
Tue Feb 19 13:50:46 CET 2013

I just looked realized my reply to Tapani was not fully responsive.  Sorry, tired.

Based on previous discussions, normally one would think it works as I described below between the originating team (in this case EPT) and the EC.  But I don't believe we really discussed what happens when a second team, the FT, is also involved, whether we're supposed to have an additional round of consensus building there and back and forth with the EC before the EC can say please pull the trigger.  All kinds of fun stuff could ensue if the FT, EPT and EC dis/agree on various dimensions.  (An alternative would be to decide that the FT is focused on overall fundraising, budget maintenance and requests to ICANN, but with regard to individual expenditure decisions is just doing implementation.) I'm generally for getting the broadest possible participation and consensus on any decision, but if it adds lots of days for no reason (e.g. if there's not much debate in the FT) that'd be silly.

While we all wanted to avoid bureaucratization, maybe we're going to need to put down just a few lines somewhere on workflow and division of labor.

In the meanwhile, maybe the way to do this is to time bound it.

1. If any FT members have concerns about the proposed expenditure, how about you please share them by 18:00 CET tomorrow Wednesday, otherwise we assume there's consensus.

2. Unless there objections and a need for dialogue, on Thursday, Wilson resends his formal proposal to the EC list for approval (for the purpose of record keeping of decisions in one place) and authorization back to the purse holder, which I guess is Milton.

Bill