[NCUC E-team] discuss list

Tapani Tarvainen ncuc at tapani.tarvainen.info
Tue Feb 19 12:16:01 CET 2013

On Feb 19 09:49, William Drake (william.drake at uzh.ch) wrote:

> I'd expressed a preference for discuss but then noted there were
> others on the ET who seemed to favor members so unless people felt
> strongly either way why not have the EC roll with that. But now
> you've joined Ed in arguing for discuss and I believe Tapani was ok
> with it, so it'd seem there's a uniform view among active EC members
> and none opposed. So ok, please proceed.

Will do... there. List is up.

Before it'll actually be useful though we'll need to subscribe
people. I believe the idea was to subscribe all members rather than
inviting them to join, and to recommend that they won't unsubscribe
but rather suspend delivery if they don't want to read the stuff,
so they could still send messages there (and follow the thread
in archives) on occasion. I believe Ed now has a complete list
of our members, I just asked him to send it over.

Another thing to do before announcing the list is to set up
archiving. I understood the plan is to copy old archives over and
keep on adding to them, in effect forking ncsg-discuss. Which
makes sense given that it was originally ncuc-discuss before
being renamed to ncsg-ncuc-discuss and then to ncsg-discuss.
Reconstructing the archive thus won't take long, but to provide
continuity it should be done just before subscribing everyone.

If somebody feels like writing a welcome message for
the subscription notices, please do it soon, otherwise I'll
put in something very short and leave longer explanations
to the list itself.
An announcement on ncsg-discuss is also in order;
if nobody wants to do a more thorough job, I'll
write a short announcement there as soon as I've
subscribed everybody (in particular alerting people
who are or think they are ncuc members but didn't
get subscribed for whatever reason).

That's about it. I'm ready to roll as soon as I get the
member list from Ed.