[NCUC E-team] Linux admin stuff

Joly MacFie joly at punkcast.com
Wed Dec 18 08:15:28 CET 2013

On Tue, Dec 17, 2013 at 10:28 PM, David Cake <davecake at gmail.com> wrote:

> > Wordpress needs to be upgraded separately, as it has been
> > manually installed (system-supplied version being too old)
> > and fairly heavily customized. Skipping a version or two
> > is generally no big deal, but running old version for years
> > would probably not be a good idea.
>
>         Wordpress really needs someone with some expertise who uses it
> regularly - there are periodic security problems etc.

I have some experience of this, but am no expert. How easy it is depends
somewhat on the customization, but normally it's just a matter of backing
up the install and mysql and hitting upgrade within the admin panel.
Otherwise one has to ftp it in. Personally I like to use a back up plugin
to back up the mysql weekly. I haven't experienced security problems on my
wordpress installs for some time (touch wood), seems pretty robust.

Joly MacFie  218 565 9365 Skype:punkcast
WWWhatsup NYC - http://wwwhatsup.com