[Bylaws] Status?

Timothe Litt litt at acm.org
Tue Mar 31 16:41:04 CEST 2015

There has been no activity on this list since oct 2013.
http://www.ncuc.org/governance/bylaws/ states that "new version expected
by end of 2013".  There was an off-list indication of some activity last
August (2014), with a target date of Oct 2014.  But nothing happened.

I assume that this effort is dead.

In case it's ever revived, I note that the current charter has no
provision for an individual member to resign.  Closest provisions:

Section III 4 F says the exec committee "shall create procedural rules
for existing members to maintain their good standing."

Section VII talks about Exec and Policy committee resignations.

The NCSG charter 2.2.9 allows for someone who no longer meets the
criteria to resign by notifying the NCSG EC; it does not allow for
resignation on other grounds.  This is distinct from the "inactive
membership" category.

With organizational members, the situation is similar.  And existing
official representative can "resign and submt in writing the name of a
new Official Representative."  I don't see a provision for an
organizational member to withdraw from either organization.

It seems that once inducted into Nirvana, one can't get out
voluntarily.    This oversight should be corrected.

Although no organization likes to lose members, it is reasonable to
predict that some may wish to leave due to irreconcilable differences
with its direction, choices or the belief that it does not effectively
represent them.  Such members must have the right to disassociate their
names from the organization.

--
Timothe Litt
ACM Distinguished Engineer