

ICANN

Moderator: Maryam Bakoshi
April 20, 2018
9:00 am CT

Maryam Bakoshi: Good morning, good afternoon, good evening. This is the NCUC ExCom Call on Friday, 20th of April, 2018 at 14:00 UTC. On the call today, we have Bruna Santos, Elsa Saade, Michael Karanicolas, Renata Aquino Ribeiro, and from staff, we have myself, Maryam Bakoshi. I would like to remind all participants to please state your name before speaking for transaction purposes. Thank you very much, and over to you, Renata.

Renata Aquino Ribeiro: Thank you, Maryam. Thank you EC for attending this call. We had a pending agenda item only from last call, which was regional lists. However, this is an EC meeting, so EC, you are responsible for the agenda here. I have a white board here. I have (unintelligible) so I can write it on it I guess. Let's see, yes, but not in yellow. I'm going to do that in black and agenda, original list.

And is there anything else you want to talk about? I would just point out that we have some situations developing in NCUC that would probably be best if we leave to discuss it another time regarding our mentees program for instance. And let's focus on regular business of the EC. (Unintelligible)

someone else's agenda and want, so who else is taking notes seems to be tidier than me.

Maryam Bakoshi: No, that was me at first but I've just handed the board to you to be able to do that. So I'm going to take the board back, clean mine, and then pass the board back to you if that's okay.

Renata Aquino Ribeiro: Okay. Sure. I can do that then. And I see a hand up already. Michael, please go ahead.

Michael Karanicolas: Hi, Michael Karanicolas for the record. I think that we should potentially discuss the PIR situation, seeing as that's kind of a big deal and would be good to have - I think that that's something that needs to be addressed ideally sooner rather than later. Thanks.

Renata Aquino Ribeiro: Okay. I've put that down here but the problem is that we don't have many more information other than what was already shared. But I've added that here. And I - this call is recorded and shared on the EC list. So I would prefer we speak of that in an internal call so we can act on information and not proper information, and not just a hint of information, which is what we have now.

But anyway, I'm going to put mentees program. So we can do that in the adoption of the agenda. Any other items? Anyone? Bruna.

Bruna Santos: Hi, this is Bruna for the record. Weren't we supposed to go through the rest of the agenda of the last EC call? I'm trying to locate the document but if someone finds it before or earlier than me, this would be good. Because I think that there's still some points in the past call that we need to go through.

And I didn't understand about the mentee program, Renata? Are we discussing it or are we not discussing it?

Renata Aquino Ribeiro: Sorry, I'll just leave myself unmuted. It's easier. I think we shouldn't discuss it on this call, the developing situation, because it's a developing situation. We don't have more information and depending, remember this is a public call and if we are to strategize, let's do an internal call. We can even do it - we can do a quicker call here and move onto internal call if you wish. But I don't think we should discuss now. I think this call is for regular EC business that we do have information on and that we have pending.

Would that be okay? Basically, what I'm saying is if you want, we can even end at 11:30 and do a Skype call but I think we shouldn't discuss it on our regular meeting a developing situation to which we have no more information. Would that be all right?

Bruna Santos: I'm not sure, Renata. This is Bruna again. Just we do have some information on the mentees but I don't know, maybe we don't have to do the deliberation but this could be a good place to at least weighing some of the applications or whether or not are we approving this (unintelligible).

((Crosstalk))

Renata Aquino Ribeiro: Stop right there, sorry. Two things. One is, overall mentee program and its future, which depends on sponsorship. That's what I'm saying we should talk internally. I'm not saying its current mentee selection. That we can talk now. But remember, everything that you talk remembering candidate selection, if you are referring to specific candidates that should also not be a public record.

So on public record, you can address the general program and what do you want to do in ICANN 62. But candidate selection is a closed call and the records can be asked for candidates if they wish to. Okay?

Bruna Santos: Me again, sorry, Bruna. So we're not, okay, we are not discussing the specific applications but maybe doing the, like, processing (unintelligible) needing to see if from the pool of candidates we have, we are able to approve a mentee or not. And on the second note, I know this is a very delicate discussion but I do understand that the deliberation will be also done on the mailing list. So I don't know, maybe it will go into the applications but I'm not sure we will have time for that.

The second point I would like to add to the agenda would be our meetings at ICANN 62.

Renata Aquino Ribeiro: Okay. First of all, about mentees deliberation, oh God, I'm having a real problem with this white board. Okay, got it. Finally I can add new stuff. Okay. So mentee for ICANN 62. We have an extension. We have three votes so we have an extension until Monday, okay. So you have time to reach out for other people to bring them into this process.

And ICANN 62 meeting is another item on the agenda. Okay. Any other items? So we're just doing the agenda so far. Yes, any other item you want to add or are you cool with these items? Bruna, have I answered all your questions?

Bruna Santos: Yes, Renata. I'm still looking for the document because it somehow got lost in my (unintelligible) but we had an agenda for this meeting and I'm not finding it.

Renata Aquino Ribeiro: Okay. So I guess this item, mentee for ICANN 62, this is informed, yes, we have an extension and you reach out to people. And remember the reason why you asked for an extension, the three votes that asked quoting needed more gender balance and regional balance. So consider that when doing your outreach.

Elsa Saade: Renata, Elsa here. I found the link for the previous, yes, the previous agenda or previous meeting and it's on our chat just in case you need it. Now, you can check it out. It's small. It's not too big but I think it's a good reminder of what we wanted to do last time and we couldn't do.

Renata Aquino Ribeiro: So you can - we can just copy this somewhere. And I'll just delete this mentee for ICANN 62 item. I think that's done. And this is this. This (unintelligible) this whiteboard. I'm trying to copy it into our whiteboard, not being that much successful.

Bruna Santos: Renata, this is Bruna again for the record. I'm so sorry. Just a minor interruption here. So in order to not lose any more time with the agenda, should we divide it into, like, two points, standing actions from BC and the points from the past meeting? Because all pending actions will have mentee selection, we have to bring the votes for the ICANN 62 meeting, and we also have the ICANN 62 meeting. So this would be a point. And the second one would be the ones we didn't address on the past meeting. What do you guys think?

Renata Aquino Ribeiro: I'm a bit confused. So you want to address this agenda, this agenda on the white board. Should we start discussing items to the right and then we see if we have time, how about that? Regional list, what do you want to know? Hello?

Elsa Saade: Renata, Elsa here. I just wanted to, concerning the regional lists, I put it last time on the agenda because I personally have been - I tried to reach out through the regional lists several times to no avail. There was no answer. There were a couple of answers and there's not much being discussed there. It's like I'm talking to myself basically. Some people reply saying thank you to them basically.

But I feel like every region has a different context of how they react to certain messages. It doesn't necessarily mean email is the best way or a regional list is the best way. And even a regional call, I'm not sure how many would attend. I'm planning on doing one before ICANN 62, but I'm not sure how many of them would attend.

So I feel like we need to have a discussion on how regional contexts defer and what's best for each region in terms of how to reach out to them through us, or how to, yes, how the EC could reach out to them basically. So just to kick off the conversation.

Renata Aquino Ribeiro: Okay. Thanks. I think the most valuable way to move forward here is exchange of experiences because there isn't really a readymade answer for you. What I can say from my past experience as EC is indeed, our regional lists are not as busy as our mailing list. Even our mailing list is very focused thematic wise, and our call, we pre-prepare an agenda, pre-prepare guests. So that is a way of having - you can have, for instance, in a 60 minutes call, you can have 10 or 8 presenters, each one of them speaking five minutes will be enough to fill in the time, and yet at least you will have a conversation among a group of members.

And then you'll try to publicize and the more people you get attending, the better. These are in reach efforts. I never accepted members to respond massively to the list and that never really did happen. Only in the beginning and said yes, let's use this list and everyone was like, yes, let's do it, but it was not - there wasn't really - I also did invest some (unintelligible) through there.

And as a reminder from bylaws and procedures, the design of NCUC leadership is regionally but that doesn't mean you can only discuss regional issues. You can discuss thematic issues. So if you want to do an ECAP webinar on GDPR, you can do it and you are supposed to invite all NCUC and all NCSG. While you are not obligated to invite (unintelligible) for instance, but all NCUC members you are supposed to invite. Because we don't separate our members by region. We said we'd try to make regions collaborate. I hope that helps.

((Crosstalk))

Elsa Saade: Can I just intervene to clarify something if I may? Hello?

Renata Aquino Ribeiro: Sure, follow-up and then...

Elsa Saade: Okay. I just wanted to mention that I completely understand and completely agree with the fact that there shouldn't be a distinction between the regions, but since we have regional lists, I rose the point to see - to maybe evaluate amongst those how much these have been efficient for us. I understand also that in reach is extremely important and I've been reaching out to several of our members in NCUC from the Asia-Pacific region and aiming to reach out to more.

But still, like, I'm not sure if a call is enough and I would definitely encourage us to share experiences, especially given how much you've worked on the LAC regional mailing list in the past and how much progress it has made for instance. So I feel like the sharing of experiences and just keeping context in mind would be super-efficient. Thanks.

Renata Aquino Ribeiro: Thanks, you have your hand up. Bruna, I think you're muted. Okay. I will just address then I can't unmute you, Bruna, even though I am (unintelligible). I think you have to unmute yourself on the - your mic should be clear not red, your mic icon. That happens in WebEx sometimes.

Maryam Bakoshi: Bruna, I've unmuted you from my end. Do you want to speak now?

Bruna Santos: Yes, is my microphone working and can you guys hear me?

Maryam Bakoshi: Yes, we can hear you. Maybe just speak a bit louder please. Thank you.

Bruna Santos: Okay. Perfect. No, that's fine. This is Bruna for the record. So on the - just a quick update on the last bit. I have different (unintelligible) how many emails I send them, I never got an answer from a single member. So I know that this is either a fact that, I don't know, I cannot really see what's the problem with the list and, I don't know, maybe the problem is with me, although I think that I'm not communicating in Spanish on this list, although I think I should. But given that English is mostly the language of work within ICANN, I prefer to do the communications in English.

But I have even sent the list an email that states communicating that I wanted to do a LAC call but nobody answered. So I'm also looking forward to hearing from Renata because sometimes, I even think that my emails are not going through the list although I know that they are. But maybe, I don't know,

maybe reaching out directly to some of the members should be the way, but I also don't want to leave the conversation - I don't want to leave the rest of the region not in the conversation. So I'm not sure what to do.

Renata Aquino Ribeiro: Okay. So I'll address Elsa's follow-up and Bruna's comment.

Again, there is no magic. If you look at the archives of the LAC list, I also didn't get a lot of replies. What I did some communication I sent, I tried to send, especially when I follow LACNIC communication, I follow it on the, Bruna, on the Portuguese, sorry, I was seeing your answer here, Spanish, and English because that's the LACNIC pattern and we have a lot of LACNIC members on our LAC group.

But that doesn't - I don't think that really is the issue. I think the issue is that you have to reach out to members specifically, but also let members know that anyone who wants to can participate, can answer. So that's why we have a member's call on the 27th and it's completely open, including yourselves. If you want to present something, you just say you want to be on the list. Up until now, we only had one person who came to me and said, hey, I have a study group too. I want to present my study group. Can I join this presentation? And I said, "You sure can," which was Caleb. And so this is it.

Everything is open for volunteers and - but you also as NCUC leadership, you also can reach out to some people who you know can be there and can do a conversation. If you have a conversation of at least ten members it is already a conversation, so that's a good thing. So this is how we get prepared. And no, I don't think you will get thousands of responses right away. I mean just look at NCUC policy (unintelligible). We had 30 attendees and I wish we had a lot more but even with staff sending reminders and so on, it's still a process for members to keep a regular schedule of calls and interactions. So this is what you have to build.

So yes, nothing - if you build it, they will come. Sorry to bring you a Hollywood phrase but that's just how I did it and that's all I have to share as experience. I hope I helped. Do we have any more to cover on the regional list, on the regional calls or do you want to move to the next item?

Bruna Santos: It's Bruna again. Hi, so just one quick question then. If I do want to pursue the LAC members call, you think I should schedule one myself, like on the (unintelligible) maybe two weeks prior to the ICANN meeting and then just communicate to members? Because if I do send (unintelligible) to them, I don't see any of them answering me. So I'm kind of - I'm having a hard time with it.

Renata Aquino Ribeiro: It is really up to you. LAC is the region with the least members. You have 84 LAC members, 157 AP members. So LAC is the region of least members and we also have cliques in LAC which are difficult to figure out. You have the Caribbean part. You have the South America part. Of course you have it in Asia too, you have the Central Asia clique, you have different types of groups of people.

And I never waited. I just scheduled and yes, I think I did do the polls a couple of times I think, but I didn't - you shouldn't expect to get a lot of answers. So basically, the best way is scheduling but main thing is reach out to your members. So if you know, for example, that in ICANN 62 Next Gen, there are five NCUC members, ask them to participate in your call and tell them why they joined NCUC. Same thing for AP, same thing for MA, same thing for you. It's EU. It's about EuroDig that's coming up and some people are participating in the organization call then for an NCUC call and how can participants of EuroDig, participate in ICANN too.

So you have to set the agenda. You have to set the themes. You have to find the people. Of course, Maryam has always been very helpful in booking the calls, sending reminders, but the content and where do you want to go with this call is up to you. I hope that answers. So do you have any more on this regional?

I'm going to do general (unintelligible) and count to six. Okay. So let's go to ICANN 62 meeting. ICANN 62 meeting, we have just known that we don't have a (unintelligible) today on ICANN 62. So that is not something we need to worry about. What can we have? We can have outreach. What we already have is an NCSG at large outreach that we may have time to speak. We don't know. But we do have to help with preparations. And the EC who will be in this meeting will help us with these preparations.

And we were advised to not do an outreach separate. What we can do is do thematic meetings. We can do meetings with specific groups in ICANN, like the strategy workgroup wanted to do a meeting with us. Also, the information for (unintelligible) initiative group. We can do a session, GDPR for Beginners. So that's something we can do. So we can do thematic sessions but we have to coordinate any session we want to do with NCSG so that we don't have our people split between two meetings or we don't do meetings of the same thing, yes.

So looking at the schedule, we saw possible schedule time for an NCSG thematic session and we'll try and coordinate them with NCSG to see if we can book something that doesn't (unintelligible) they can help us with. And that's what we have so far.

We had an offer from one of our organizational members, (Etunda Tech), to do an event there. We had an offer also from another organization who is not

our member yet, but could be, ISOC Panama, to also help us. And I would like to ask NCUC LAC to handle that. So how can that be done? We don't have funding for one day for that. So maybe we do a coffee break in (Etunda Tech) or an afternoon event.

So it will have to be in a time when it's not time for ICANN meeting and ICANN meeting days are pretty booked so that is a bit challenged. But I would refer to regional organizations to our NCUC LAC to repaper that and see if something can be worked out.

So Bruna, have you spoken with them? Where is this now? Better now, the volume?

Bruna Santos: Yes, it was very low. I'm not sure I heard everything.

Renata Aquino Ribeiro: So yes, I was saying that we had an offer from (Etunda Tech) to do an outreach event and we also had offer from ISOC Panama to collaborate. So I'm saying that we don't have funding so this would have to be like a coffee break in a time when it's not conflictive to any ICANN meeting session. And I'm asking you as NCUC LAC to move this forward and if you have had any conversations with them, how is this going.

Bruna Santos: Hi, this is Bruna. No, Renata, I didn't because I wasn't aware that ISOC offered also to do a meeting. But I'm still not sure with regard to the agenda because we have a meeting - we have the NCSG policy course on the 24th and then if we were to do something with either (Etunda Tech) or ISOC Panama, this would have to be past the meeting hours.

So what would be, like, the ground plan for that? Do we want to do, like, something like a policy, sort of a policy pitch? Do we want to sit people

down after this and then have an hour and a half event with people speaking their activities and how NCUC could work with them, and then have a coffee break for that? And I am sorry, I'm caught out of surprise here because I heard about (Etunda Tech) but I wasn't sure that we were pursuing this idea. I'm sorry about that.

Renata Aquino Ribeiro: Yes, (Etunda Tech) has been offered for quite a while. But a policy (unintelligible) is a good idea. ISOC Panama is new information that I'm giving now, but - well, it depends on whether or not we have support to organize, someone to organize (unintelligible). And I think a policy (unintelligible) or a coffee break would be a great idea, for example. On the 24th, on the day of NCUC policy course, the happy hour, I think would be good.

But again, also, if you are - it's overwhelming for just one person to organize something like this. So you are also being funded through fellowship so I take it you will have also your commitments. So I think you should reach out to the allocated EC and build a proposal. I can help you guys with a proposal and we can do a happy hour policy (unintelligible) thematic to ICANN PDPs. It should be feasible and even add those who are not going to the meeting on site can participate.

And it's just a matter of really doing a Google Doc, let's do this event at this hour. This is what we're going to do, who will participate, reach out to some people already and pre-book them, and we can try and get help, support from NCUC or from GSC for a coffee break.

So thank you for that. And do we have any follow-up on that or any other comment on ICANN 62 meetings?

Bruna Santos: This is me again, Bruna. So I will throw this idea then on the EC list at first and we gather some support on that and then throw it on the (unintelligible) and then if everybody agree with that, I'll throw it on the general list. Do you agree with that, Renata?

Renata Aquino Ribeiro: I think the process is first going for the EC and then we go through GSC to figure out if we have funds. If we don't have GSC funds, we'll have to have NCUC funds.

Bruna Santos: Or the organization's funds.

Renata Aquino Ribeiro: Could be, could be, but first of all, the EC, does the EC have any objection to it happening this way? If no objection then where are we going to get the funds? Then we start planning with members because also, we cannot tell members, hey, plan, and they want a drone. So we can just, when we present this to members we have to present to members already what (unintelligible) is and how they can send it, so they can, for example, let's do an NCUC Twitter chat. Oh, I can do a Facebook thing or - so members can collaborate in different forms. But they need to know exactly what they are collaborating to. Yes?

Bruna Santos: Of course, of course. Bruna again for the record. Yes, I wasn't proposing that it was, like, run through the EC and then I'll talk with Leah from (Etunda Tech). Once ISOC Panama is a member, we can talk with them as well to see if they can't support that (unintelligible).

Renata Aquino Ribeiro: Yes, so ISOC Panama is now. ISOC Panama just said that they could maybe help us on action. They are not a member yet. They won't be a member for the next two or three months because NCSG sets our members. So leave ISOC Panama to me and (Etunda Tech) you can ask. But also, I

think GSC is a channel and then we go to members. So EC, GSC, members, yes?

Bruna Santos: Perfect. Sorry to interrupt you again, Bruna again, I just had one more question with regards to the ICANN 62 meeting. On the agenda you sent us, you planned an in reach meeting. What would this consist of and do we need an hour and a half for an in reach meeting? Just a quick question.

Renata Aquino Ribeiro: Yes, so what we have on ICANN 62 meetings is time that we have available to do thematic sessions. So one of the things I thought was capacity building. So that would be in-reach. So helping our members, helping those who are already are members to engage in policy development processes.

But, as I said, everything that ICANN 62 meeting document is subject to coordination with NCSG. So I still need to have that talk with NCSG. They suggested we have no meetings NCUC only at all. That we have only NCUC and NCSG.

So I'm still to find out what meetings will NCSG have and try to put our participation there too. But this is, what I have of information right now, I will find out more and get back to you. Any more questions on ICANN meetings?

No, okay. So we are close to the hour. Is there any other item that you want to discuss? I am now checking out the document you had written before. Is there anything else here that you want to bring up? We just have ten minutes.

Elsa Saade: Yes, Renata, may I (unintelligible)? Hello?

Renata Aquino Ribeiro: Yes.

Elsa Saade: Yes, I just wanted to mention that I am working on transition document that Farzi and you sent us earlier when we first got the hand over in the EC. And I will share it with you guys so that maybe you could put your two cents on the document so that we could develop it may be further before future EC would take - would be voted into, like, their - before the new EC is voted in.

So I just thought I'd let you know that I'm going to be working on it. I actually started a bit but I'll be working on it further and sending it to you guys. Maybe you could comment.

Renata Aquino Ribeiro: Okay. Good. That can be something and you also had a request to discuss an ongoing situation with mentee program. Do you wish to discuss that off this meeting or do we close this meeting now? Michael? I don't think Michael is hearing us or we can't hear you. Bruna, Elsa, if you want to chime in on this.

Bruna Santos: Hi, this is Bruna again. Just about the mentees. I'm not - and I'll be very careful about it, what I'm about to see. But I mean I'm not that sure that the applications are very good to be for this round of mentees. So is there any space, there should be a space for maybe not approving a mentee to this meeting and then taking two or three to Barcelona? Or maybe sending a mentor, going back to sending a mentor.

I don't know. This is the comment. We had assigned, hopefully, with this extension, we will get better applications and I won't have to consider this again but just a short consideration on it. And I know we discussed it on the EC chat on Skype this week as well maybe that maybe tying the mentorship to the buddy program would be a good thing to keep to watching the engagement of members, further watching them. So just a quick consideration of this.

Renata Aquino Ribeiro: Okay. Elsa's hand is up and I'll address it. Elsa, I can't hear you. Okay, Elsa, you cannot unmute right now. Let's give some time and you can jump in. Yes, Michael, my question is if you want to discuss this in a Skype call. We can move to a Skype call. And also Bruna and Elsa, you can chime in on that.

Elsa Saade: Hey, can you hear me?

Renata Aquino Ribeiro: Now we can, Elsa.

Elsa Saade: I wanted to just ask, I think since several people applied and they don't necessarily fit the criteria, maybe it would be - I'm not sure if this is even feasible for us or if it's a good action to do but do we really have to have a mentee this time? I am for an extension but I still didn't reply to the email because I wanted to ask that question in this meeting. Maybe it's best, if the pool of candidates is not what we expected and does not fit the criteria, maybe it is a good point to just not have a mentee this time.

I just thought I'd ask before I could chime in on this idea, on this point.

Renata Aquino Ribeiro: Okay, let me then just address this point. We have already opened the extension. So when the new applications come, we can do it (unintelligible) and if we don't want to have a mentee this time, we have to communicate this decision to members and have a justification for that. So remember that. I think it's a bit - I think it's a lot of steps. We've opened a regular deadline. Now, we've opened an extension. Now, we say we're not having a mentee. It's putting myself in NCUC member shoes, I would say, but hey, the engagement has to go on. Every meeting has mentees, so why not this one or changing for (veterans).

So whatever you decide to do, what I'm saying is, you have to communicate to members, okay. But we can only get back to this and really decide it, discuss it again on EC list after the extension period is over.

Yes, I completely agree with you, Renata, about engagement definitely. But I thought that maybe it could be a good point from the EC and from us all together, chair and EC, to just be strict on the criteria so that people would be - would know what they're applying for exactly based on the criteria that we will have set. Do you know what I mean? But I definitely agree. Members should definitely not be dis-encouraged to apply. They should apply definitely. So yes, just my two centers here.

Renata Aquino Ribeiro: Okay. So we wait on Tuesday to see what we got and decide on that. And so the previous question raised by Michael was about our future of our program and funds for it. As I had mentioned, this is a call which is to be recorded, and transcribed, and shared on the EC list. And if you want to discuss strategy, it would be best to do it in an EC closed meeting.

So but we can also Maryam to share this recording only with us or share this transcript only with us. I don't really feel comfortable because we all share the recording and the transcript on the EC list. Our members know where our archives are. So a strategy we discuss among ourselves.

So there is not enough information to move forward in this discussion right now. All the information I have is what I updated you on. And so we move now to Bruna and Elsa to give your thoughts on this. So Bruna and Elsa, do we move to a Skype call? Do we continue (unintelligible) here? That's six, counting mentally, I have no answer from either of you. So I'll finish this call here and we continue (unintelligible) and we go on Skype. Also, because we

are in the top of the hour and we can have staff to stay for just discussion, which they have already done one hour of policy course call.

So (unintelligible) a decision of any in this call now and we do it over Skype if you want to. I'm available. So thank you everyone for your attendance and talk to you soon. Thank you, Maryam.

Maryam Bakoshi: Thank you very much, everyone, for attending the call. Joe, you may stop the recording and disconnect all lines. Thank you so much. Goodbye.

END