[NCUC-EC] [TIME SENSITIVE] Fwd: WS2 Mapping Inventory and Next Steps for the NCUC

Benjamin Akinmoyeje benakin at gmail.com
Fri Oct 1 05:06:25 CEST 2021

Dear Raphael,

Kindly find my responses below.

On Wed, Sep 29, 2021 at 11:15 AM Raphael Beauregard-Lacroix <
rbeauregardlacroix at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> Please have a look at what's below and give me your
> thoughts/opinions/suggestions
>
> We'd need to provide our reply by Sunday 3rd 2359 (got an extension) so I
> would kindly ask you to have a look at this and provide your
> suggestions/ideas in this thread by *Friday 1 Oct 2359*
>
> thank you,
>
> ***
>
> ·         *6.1.3: SO/AC/Groups should document their procedures for
> non-members to challenge decisions regarding their eligibility to become a
> member.*
>
> o    Could be implemented in coordination with NCSG. NCSG handles
> membership requests at the SG level and SG membership is required for C
> membership. Existing procedures concern only existing members (Operating
> Procedures, IX). Would require an Operating Procedures amendment.

I agree to a certain extent to this recommendation  however the operating
procedure should include consultation with the EC.

> ·         *6.1.4: SO/AC/Groups should document unwritten procedures and
> customs that have been developed in the course of practice, and make them
> part of their procedural operation documents, charters, and/or bylaws*
>
> o    Could be implemented

I believe we should review and implement. I agree

> ·         *6.1.5: Each year, SO/AC/Groups should publish a brief report
> on what they have done during the prior year to improve accountability,
> transparency, and participation, describe where they might have fallen
> short, and any plans for future improvements*
>
> o    Could be implemented. Formalizing such reporting as part of the task
> of the executive committee would require a Bylaws amendment.

This is tricky, and may be subjective, it will depend on the Key
deliverables on Accountability, transparency and participation, this will
help decide if we met the target or fell short. We just have to set up a
system of evaluation, then we can report appropriately.

·         *6.2.4: Meetings and calls of SO/AC/Groups should normally be
> open to public observation. When a meeting is determined to be
> members-only, that should be explained publicly, giving specific reasons
> for holding a closed meeting…*
>
> o    Uncertain as to what kind of action is contemplated (“public
> explanation and reasons”)

Meetings during ICANN events are always open, except if this is required
for EC monthly calls, there is need for clarification here. The NCUC
meetings should be open to the public I believe.

> ·         *6.4.2: Each SO/AC/Group should maintain a publicly accessible
> website/wiki page to advertise their outreach events and opportunities.*
>
> o    Outreach is handled on a case-by-case basis and given the
> characteristics of our membership and executive committee we do not believe
> it is warranted for us to create a standing outreach committee. Outreach
> activities are already generally governed by Operating Procedures, VI.

If this will help increase the effectiveness of our outreach activities.
Advertising our outreach opportunities and activities is a welcome idea, so
that members know what is currently happening and who is engaged in it. I
support the recommendation.

> ·         *6.5.1: Each SO/AC/Group should review its policies and
> procedures at regular intervals and make changes to operational procedures
> and charter as indicated by the review.*
>
> o    Implemented (Bylaws, IV.G.2)
>
> ·         *6.5.2: Members of SO/AC/Groups should be involved in reviews
> of policies and procedures and should approve any revisions.*
>
> o    Implemented (Operating Procedures, XV)
>
> ·         *6.5.3: Internal reviews of SO/AC/Group policies and procedures
> should not be prolonged for more than one year, and temporary measures
> should be considered if the review extends longer.*
>
> o    Could be implemented, to the extent of the maximum period and
> temporary measures. Would require an Operating Procedures amendment.
> I agree as well.
>
> Kind regards,
Benjamin