[NCUC-EC] GNSO leadership call summary: Review and Implementation Work for Community Input

Raphael Beauregard-Lacroix rbeauregardlacroix at gmail.com
Thu Aug 5 16:29:22 CEST 2021

Dear all,

We had a "Review and Implementation Work for Community Input" call at the
GNSO level today.

Here are a few points from the call which I'd consider sharing with the
list.

-- The NomCom RIWG has not been reporting for several months, and
specifically it is not quite known at the community level what they did
with the (overall negative) feedback they got on the implementation plan
for the NomCom review, about a year ago. As a reminder, neither NCUC nor
NCSG or NPOC submitted comments on that plan.

While it is expected that we will hear from them, we should probably start
by reaching out to the representatives we have on the RIWG (Ines Hfaiedh,
Raoul Plommer and Remmy Nweke, the latter two being NCSG/NPOC) in order to
get some form of update.

As a reminder, changing the number of seats allocated to the GNSO is not
being considered. Rather, the GNSO will have to figure out by itself who to
allocate its seven seats to and on what basis.

The Board will not move with the required Bylaw amendments regarding the
NomCom as long as its not clear that the RIWG has properly reached out and
consulted the community. It obviously does not want to have the Empowered
Community shut down the Bylaws amendments...

-- There is a "triage document" that will come out of Org Soon(TM)
regarding WS2 implementation for the recommendations that are the
responsibility of C/SG/SO. As far as I remember there was rather few of
those the last time this was discussed (a year ago? More?) but now Org
seems quite convinced that there is a lot for the community to do... Still
we couldn't get any specifics on this despite multiple requests from
various parts of the GNSO. Took staff more than 15 mins just to tell us the
document in question is not ready yet.

In case you missed it, here is where Org stands with the implementation of
its "own" WS2 recommendations, from last May
https://www.icann.org/en/blogs/details/an-update-on-work-stream-2-implementation-4-3-2021-en

Have a nice day,