[NCUC-EC] ncuc statement on transition (draft)

Mueller, Milton L milton at gatech.edu
Tue Jun 21 22:31:07 CEST 2016

Statement by the Noncommercial Users Constituency

The Noncommercial Users Constituency (NCUC) welcomes the approval of the IANA Stewardship Transition proposal by the U.S. Commerce Department NTIA on June 9. NCUC has been an advocate of the transition since 2005 and its members have played a leading role in the process.
NCUC represents civil society in ICANN's Generic Names Supporting Organization. It has 505 members from 134 countries, including 117 noncommercial organizations and 388 individuals. Our members have been keen and engaged participants in the working groups, drafting teams and proposal development processes in all three operational communities. We also appointed a representative to the IANA Stewardship Coordination Group (ICG). We are united in our support for the final proposal.
We note the approval of the proposed governance reforms by the independent reviewers commissioned by the NTIA. We look forward to the faithful implementation of the proposal's reforms in all three operational communities, and to the conclusion of this historic process in September 2016.

Dr. Milton L Mueller
Professor, School of Public Policy
Georgia Institute of Technology

Internet Governance Project