[NCUC-EC] BA Travel

William Drake wjdrake at gmail.com
Fri Aug 9 15:16:35 CEST 2013

Hi

Well again, as has been suggested to me by several vets privately, one thing we should not lose track of is the number one rule that support should go to people who are actively engaged in processes that will be taken on frontally at the meeting.  So to me that suggests priority for those involved in the bylaws rewrite.   And do bear in mind, NCUC never had a policy of supporting EC members either via the 3 ICANN slots (new from last year) or internal resources.  So we can't do this on the basis of gee, it'd be great if the gang was all there.  Of course it would.  But there is zero presumption that being on the EC means travel to any particular meeting.

My groggy minded premise is simple.  If they are going to take the lead on catalyzing the bylaws process, Tapani and Ed must be there, because that is our number one activity for the meeting, it will be demanding, and they've expressed willingness to lead us home.

If we want to split a piece of NCUC's funds out as reasonable flat rate grants to the others that's ok but they really do have to be creative and make it work.

When I mentioned institutions, I meant Carlos, Milton, and I believed CONAC staff seem to get covered via other sources.  Apparently I was mistaken on CONAC.

Now, if we are all fully committed to making this happen, then as I say I will write to Glen and ask for a room and any other ad hoc support they may be able to provide.  Imagine say 10-15 people come a day early to do this; if ICANN won't cover it, we should be prepared to put up a couple thousand for the extra hotel night.  Which of course leaves less for larger-scale discretionary travel.

I hope this makes sense? If so I write to Glen, Rob, et al.

Bill